Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased my first Saab, a 1989 9000 2.0 . I'm new to the forum so forgive me if somebody has posted a similiar topic before.
The sunroof sticks at the half open point. As I understand it this is a common problem, but I have yet to find a fix for it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
A previous '89 model which I owned suffered from a sticking sunroof. I had cleaned and greased all the sliding bits, checked it's set up against the Workshop Manual specifications ans still it would stick.
Eventually in desperation, I tightened the clutch nut by 1/2 a turn and it worked perfectly thereafter. The nut is the big one on the shaft in which you insert an allen key to manually close the sunroof. Use the key to hold the shaft and a suitable spanner to tighten the nut. A word of warning , the clutch is there to protect the motor in the event of the sunroof jamming. If the sticking is due to a mechanical fault and you overtighten the nut, the clutch won't slip and the motor could burn out. If the motor shows any sign of stalling do not continue to try to operate it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Von, I used to own a 1989 Saab 9000S which I ran from from new to almost 100,000 miles before I sold it on, I had problems with the sunroof sticking and in fact it packed up altogether, this was due to major corosion within the roof area, eventualy the roof rusted through and blistered around the edges of the sun roof aperture, this I understand was not an uncommon problem caused by trapped rainwater within the roof void, check yours for signs of rust or blemishes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts