Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The effects of unusually sunny Anglesey weather are visible on myself and many others who took part in yesterdays trackday.

The day went very well with only one driver having a minor incident and a few small mechnical issues.

There was plenty of tracktime on a very enjoyable circuit which was never too crowded.

Thanks to the committee for organising this and making it run so smoothly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not so "unusually sunny" Sevenman: it always shines here (ha, ha).

Seriously I'm a member 'virgin' of 48 hours duration although a Saabist and follower of this site for some time so please go easy on me.

I went along to the track event yesterday and found the event exciting, exhilarating and entertaining. A credit to the organizers !

Regards,

AI

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tnank you Chris: I feel part of a friendly and vibrant community. Saabs are a bit thin on the ground in this part of the world but the flag is being flown with enthusiasm hereabouts

AI

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Yep, a fantastic day. BIG THANKS to John, Jason, Mark and Andrew for organising such a great event, and to everyone else for making it so friendly and so much fun.

Hope Andrew & John get their cars sorted soon.

It was good to meet so many and put the face to the name.

Ty Croes is a great circuit, which really lived up to its reputation as a hidden gem. Not too quick for those of us who were a bit nervous about high speed antics but technically challenging and a good mix of corners. I can really see why so many people like it.

For my part, I managed not to embarrass myself (well, not too much
) and the extra dry logs I threw on the woodburner helped it keep up with most of the more standard cars...I think a few of you were quite surprised how well the old bus goes.

The free tuition was the thing that made the day extra-enjoyable for me - having someone explain the lines properly and encourage you to keep your foot in when your brain and 'nads are telling you to back off. If you didn't take advantage, make sure you do next time.

All that remains now is a new set of rubber, I'm not quite legal any more...!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome, Ian. Did we meet?

That may have been the best fun I've had so far at a track day. The people with the photos (and lots of them) are likely either still there or on their way home. No photos from me but maybe a bit of in-car video in a few days, showing me doing a good job of keeping up with a 9000 Aero for a few laps and having to gently nudge past a few cars, including a 9000, a C900 and a 99T...

... in a completely bog-standard 90

Just goes to show power isn't everything, especially at Anglesey.

My arms bl**dy ache today, though. Power steering has its uses, I suppose

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Originally posted by Chris B:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by fliptop (9-5 V6 AgaPower):
[qb] Hope Andrew & John get their cars sorted soon.[/qb][/b]
[/qb][/b][/quote]/john's turbo gave up and Scaero had a brief encounter with a tyre wall - nothing too serious but a shame for both.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by fliptop (9-5 V6 AgaPower):
[qb]/john's turbo gave up and Scaero had a brief encounter with a tyre wall - nothing too serious but a shame for both. [/qb][/b]
Andrew did the same as I did last year. I think we both agreed it was lack of common sense in the heat of the moment in both cases.

When I saw John heading towards his car with a footpump, I felt duty-bound to tell him that it was unlikely to be powerful enough to restore his lost boost...

Sorry, John. Hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yes - have to agree it was a great day.
Ive just completed the 6 hour journey home and even that combined with the 7 hour outward bound journey and 850 miles in 3 days hasnt dampened my enthusiasm.
My £400 T16 Catalyst 'Team Hunt' mobile excelled itself throughout the day and nothing at all went wrong with it despite turning in lap times 1 second slower than Mark E's 320+bhp 9000 - most of them sideways much to the annoyance of one particular marshal
(the one negative for me)..
I even got a round of aplause from a load of spectators (including the Malbrad crew) as i went past at the end of the session with Ross (Captrossco) in the passenger seat
Great day,great weather and great people sums it up for me

Pete.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It certainly was an excellent day - and that's just from the perspective of a spectator. I was almost tempted to have a drive / be a passenger, but I'm content that I didn't give in to temptation. If I had been a passenger it'd have made me want to try my own car on the track, and if I'd have done that then I'd probably have knackered the auto-box.

I think Leon and Bill have the right idea; buy a low cost track car - and resist the temptation to do lots of mods on it and then it won't hurt the wallet so much when you inflict the almost inevitable damage on it.

Bill's lap times really do underline the fun he evidently had, and the very repsectable performance his conventionally aspirated car was capable of. It's all down to the driver!

It was great that so many people made the trip to Anglesey - especially the happy campers from 66% of the Benelux countries

Well done to the Saab Trackday team for organising such a superb event, and for Big G for taking care of the weather.

I guess that all we need now is the date for next year ...

Keith

·
Registered
451 Posts
Was a great day.

I have a red face with a white forehead from the sun.
Shame I arrived too late to sign on as a passenger, but some of the cars there were absolutley mental.

Got passed by some of the attendies on the way home, after leaving Brunstrom country.

Good going lads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi

Well first a big Thank you to the organisers for making such a good day happen
It was nice to meet some new (to me) people and be made to feel so welcome.

Although I did not take my car out on the track I did manage a few laps with Nev, Billj and Alistair in his very impressive 95 3.0d. A special Thank You to them. Alistair’s car felt more like an afternoon drive in the country rather than pushing it round a circuit. I still cannot believe how well Bill’s 90 takes the corners! I think when I was passenger in Nev’s car he was playing safe after his little spin. A very quick car all the same. It was nice to see a such wide variety of cars all being put through there paces.

Thanks also for a splendid BBQ afterwards and to Johnw and Petetandino for letting me stay in their family sized hotel room!

Downer of the day has to be awarded to Ross B after he lost 1st and second gear on his last lap. ( If you find them in you boot when you unpack please let him have them back )

Thanks to all

David!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Yesterday was the best day out I've had in years and certainly the best trackday I've ever been too. I think I can say that as Mark E did most of the organising, I was just a PR guy! I'm so glad that so many people enjoyed it and that so many came to support the event even though you weren't driving.

Luckily for me the day passed without incident, I kept the car on the black stuff and in return it remained reliable all day. It was the first time I'd really had a chance to find the new limits of the car following the suspension upgrades it's had over the last 12 months. I think I can say that the car has been de-barged as well as debadged.

Sorry to anyone if I held you up early in the day, I needed a couple of sessions to get my confidence up before the big push! Mind you, even on my hot laps there were a few people I had trouble shaking off, I think you know who you are!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My first trackday was a great experience all round. I think my driving has really benefited from the day and really appreciated the free instruction, which I will continue to take up in the future wherever it is available.

I thought the staff were excellent and facilities surprisingly good, considering the size of the circuit. Don't get many mountain views around most of the circuits near me!

I think this might be the first of many track sessions.

I should add thanks to all those SS people that put the effort in to arrange what I think everyone felt was an excellent day.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Wow...what a great day...
not sunburnt at all...
spent most of the time in the pits
fixing the induction pipe and worrying about the sudden demise of the discs ...
In the end the discs held out but the ball joints and the tyres did not... so an early bath for me..
Still good fun...
btw.. I was catching you bill ...(but not by much...!!)

good day and well done guys..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts