Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver's side visor won't stay up any more. Has anyone come up with a bodge to fix this or am I having to replace it? It's the plain vanilla type without mirror or light.
Thanks,
Rod.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I had this on my driver's side and to fix it up used a small square of velcro - one part stuck to the roof lining and the other on the visor - about 18mm square should do. My visor when in use, used to move also(droop)so I folded up a small scrap of paper and wedged it where the visor clips in - use to work for a while. Breakers/wreckers might be a better long term solution though.

Mike

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
You can buy circular dots of Velcro. After extensive analysis I can assure you that a 20mm circle of Velcro will give you the same sticking power as an 18 mm square (within 3% anyway)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, all. After a little cruising through various BBs, the easiest suggestion was to place a cable tie in the visor hole and push it back onto the arm. Seems to work so far.
BTW, the velcro idea wasn't recommended by several people on another BB because it apparently accelerated the dreaded head liner droop. I've tried it on other cars and found the glue tended to let go when it got really hot out.
Rod.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
 BTW, the velcro idea wasn't recommended by several people on another BB because it apparently accelerated the dreaded head liner droop. I've tried it on other cars and found the glue tended to let go when it got really [/b]
I can only speak from experience and mine lasted four years plus and only came off once in that time from the visor side - impact adhesive - no sign of droopy lining

·
Registered
192 Posts
My passenger visor has a 4 inch strip of velcro holdign it up. Well it wasn't as it was no longer sticky.

Left a mark on the headlining nothing major. I have noidea how long it had the velcro on it.

I have fixed the visor with the good old cable tie method.

Chris

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I cut along the top of the visor, replaced the U-clip with some spring type clip I had and carefully glued the whole thing back up.

Now for those of you who go abroad there is a market here. Get yourself to the local Saab breakers and get as many passenger side visors you can - over in Europe passenger side visors should be good and plentiful just like here

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
 Does it have to be 18mm square? I can only find 20, 25 and 50 mm wide velcro  [/b]
Andrew
20mm is about 18mm in my book - only suggested that figure as I work in feet and inches still and was looking for about 3/4 inch in metric Any bigger and you might pull the head lining off when diving into the sunset.

Cheers
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.