Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, I recently posted about my electrical problems, and I have now bought a new alternator to put in my car (1991 Saab 9000 CD turbo). Managed to get it off it's bracket pretty easily, but found out that it wont fit through the "wheel arch" as the Haynes manual says!! I then tried to remove it from the top, but the alternator is too big to fit between the injector and top engine mount. I've spent a few hours now wrestling with it to see if it can fit trough in any other orientation. No luck. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have to replace mine tomorrow morning. I was looking at the same issues you posted. It does look like there is a plastic/rubber "access" opening directly across from the alternator on the inside of the wheel well. I have already pre-guessed that the pulley needs to come off the alternator to fit thru the opening.

I will advise you tomorrow if I am correct. Might want to check it out on your '91

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Chaps, to remove alternator take out the plastic wheel arch liners, then remove the metal strut from the sub-frame to the top of the inner wheel arch (its a long pole type thing!) now the alternator will slip out quite easily. Have fun

·
Registered
305 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian:
[qb]Chaps, to remove alternator take out the plastic wheel arch liners, then remove the metal strut from the sub-frame to the top of the inner wheel arch (its a long pole type thing!) now the alternator will slip out quite easily. Have fun [/qb][/b]
Thank You!!

wherewolfe

·
Registered
305 Posts
Adrian:

An addendum to your post...my '94 requires that I drain and remove the power steering pump in order to have a big enough opening to get the alternator out. I did remove the support bar, but unfortunately there still was not enough clearance. But, I thank your direction as it was invaluable.

Regards,

wherewolfe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.