Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Elkparts no longer have any strut braces, is there an alternative to Abbot's product?

Also, does fitting a strut brace constitute an insurance notifiable modification? And if so, what sort of loading does it typically produce?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yes, it does constitue a notifiable mod- on the basis if nothing else that it would be dead easy to spot if an insurance inspector looked at your vehicle.

You could try Chipcentre for the brace, which is where I orignally got mine from, which I believe was the first in this country and started the craze

I know the Abbott model is more expensive, but having seen the others, it is still better quality. Whether that translates in to tangible benefits in stiffness though is doubtful.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]Also, does fitting a strut brace constitute an insurance notifiable modification?  And if so, what sort of loading does it typically produce?
[/qb][/b]
It's notifiable. Although with my policy (Highway via Chris Knott) it made no difference to the cost.

In fact, none of the mods have altered the price. I had the Abbott ECU upgrade + poly anti roll bar bushes when I got it originally - since then I've added the strut brace, uprated disks and pads, and uprated shocks and springs. And the cost the last renewal went down significantly )

Why are Elkparts not doing the strut brace any more?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Soulhand:
[qb]Why are Elkparts not doing the strut brace any more? [/qb][/b]
They are not on Elkparts website at the moment, so I phoned to ask and was told that they have sold the original batch, and when they tried to order some more the minimum order quantity had increased to a vast number that they couldn't justify.

Thanks for all the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts