Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'M A BELIEVER!

I thought it was a load of hype but I fitted mine yesterday to my stock 2.0t and have to say the difference is noticeable, big time.

The only thing I wasn't overly impressed with was the fit. I bought the chrome Speedparts one from Elk but reading up here seems like the WMSS one might have been better. It did seem odd that the plates were flat and hence don't really fit the contour of the wheel arch very well and I also had to wrestle the A/C pipe quite a bit to get the offside fitted.

I'll be transferring it to my Aero without a doubt, unless I get a red powder coated one to match the body colour.

I supposed I'll have to fork out the Stage 1 on that ECU too and pay the premium cos it's a 1993 Trionic.

David.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As others have said, the whole car just suddenly feels stiffer, pot holes don't have that feeling where one corner of the car has gone on a vacation.

Acceleration feels more controlled and steering feels precise. It's noticeable as soon as you move off.

I also sell snake oil! But seriously, if I hadn't tried it, I would have honestly thought it hyped up.

I'm looking forward to some country lanes on the way home tonight as I already have those in mind as a benchmark.

David.

·
Registered
507 Posts
OK , That's it, I'm getting one!

You seem to point to the main criticisms I , myself have of the 9000s (dis)ability over bumps.

Why do you think the WMSS one would be better David? Is it more expensive? The Elkparts one seems expensive enough for what looks essentially like a scaffolding pole.

How long did it take to fit?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wulbert, I feel guilty here treading in the footsteps of my peers that have gone there before but from a few posts here, the Elksports one is contoured on the plates to fit the wheelarch whereas the Speedparts one is flat and so you end up bending the plate down as you torque it down. A suggestion was made to use washers underneath it but I think that would be unpractical as the bolts aren't that long already and you'd have so many washers to line up that you'd just get frustrated.

My only fitting problem was that the A/C pipes were in the way but I'm getting the feeling from my other A/C issues that someone has "had a go" with the A/C at some point and the pipes aren't exactly where they're supposed to be!

I really did enjoy the country lanes this evening, I didn't feel like I was driving a jelly for once.

(Bear in mind this is a stock 2.0 lpt, not an Aero or anything with any other suspension mods
other than fresh lower wishbone rubber bushes and poly rear ARB bushes.)

I really am looking forward to fitting this to the Aero.

David.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I got the silver WMSS one from Elkparts. It doesn't interfere with the AC hoses or anything else and although it took some effort to fit (hammers, levers etc), the quality is good and the colour match with the silver aero is also good. I'll try and take a pic. tomorrow.
In the end all the strut braces on offer will make a huge difference - just pick the colour!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Faero, I'm sure my problem was A/C hoses in the wrong place rather than anything with the brace. This is backed up by a new hole that had been drilled to secure the pipes just behind the power steering reservoir.

David.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.