Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Stripping lock barrels

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  arumdevil 
#1 ·
Finally finished changing all the locks on my convertible so that one key fits all.

Originally (when I bought it) the ignition barrel had a different key to the doors and boot, and one door did not work with the key at all
I fitted a nearly new lock set from my old T8 hatch, so doors and ignition were all the same, that just left the boot which is different than the hatch lock barrel.
Last night I pulled the boot lock barrel, stripped it and swapped the 'levers' around until the new key almost fitted, then a little file of some of the levers fixed it. Refitted and now the same key fits all locks

#3 ·
Originally posted by arumdevil:
[qb]how expensive/difficult is it to change the locks? my ignition barrel is causing all sorts of electrical problems so I think it would be better replaced....

cheers,

arum [/qb][/b]
And they are expensive too - when my C900 was serviced recently the ingition lock cylinder had to be replaced since the key could be removed with the engine running. At A$250 that's what I can an expensive part for such as small item! No doubt the exclusivity of it is why the price is so high.

Now my car has a different key for the ignition but all the other locks (boot and two front doors) are the same. The car doesn't have central locking.

Craig.

#6 ·
[qb] my ignition barrel is causing all sorts of electrical problems
[/qb][/b]
Arum,
If you are experiencing electrical problems, it is unlikely to be the ignition lock barrel. The physical lock just operates the electrical switch underneath it. I think I'm right in saying if you buy a lock set, you get nothing electrical in it.

#9 ·
Now my car has a different key for the ignition but all the other locks (boot and two front doors) are the same. The car doesn't have central locking.[/b]
You should be able to pull the ignition barrel, strip it and alter the levers so that one key fits all.
I got fed up of jumping in the car and putting the wrong key in the ignition lock.

#10 ·
[qb]hopefully it wouldn't be so pricey in the uk, anyone know ??[/qb][/b]
£65.43 + VAT, I believe, for the ignition switch barrel cut to fit the original key.
£209.11 + VAT for a complete new set supplied with keys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.