Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When looking for answers for my starting problems (see earlier post) of my just bought SAAB (9000 CSE 16 T Aut.) I have taken a closer look at the relay/fuse box under the hood. What struck me was that two fuses (no. 3 and 4 I believe were linked together with some black electrical wire. Besides that, fuse number 9 was missing, which according to Haynes is the Ignition fuse.
Does anaybody have a clue about what this all means, and is it possible that my staring problems are related to this?
(by the way; the car has an alarmsystem, which I have not activated yet; maybe this has something to do with the strange setup in the fusebox?)
Thanx.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Which year is your CSE?

Ignore the Haynes manual for just about anything electrical. Their "typical" wiring diagrams never seem to correspond to any particular car.

Is it a 2.3 full-pressure turbo? If so, on the CSE auto 2.3T, at least the Trionic models, fuse 9 provides power to the boost-limit signal that goes to the Trionic ECU and reduces boost to protect the automatic gearbox from excess torque. I would suspect that someone has removed it to increase performance to approach that of a manual car but without it, you will need to treat the transmission gently - i.e. avoid it from shifting up under full-throttle, etc.

According to my '96 handbook, fuse 9 also supplies the sunroof, rear electric windows and reversing lights. Depending on the year, yours might be slightly different.

If you are having starting problems, perhaps it is something to do with the alarm system. They often have an immobiliser function which switches off the fuel pump using a relay and I have seen problems where the relay is faulty and the car will not start.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comments Bill.

My CSE dates from december 1992 and is indeed an 2.3 Turbo
According to the original manual of the car, the no. 9 concerns te Ignition.
What do you think about the wire link between the number 3 and 4 fuses?
Any other ideas on the starting problem (no start with warm engine, but no problems with a cold one)? Someone suggested that the coper wiring in the automatic transmission console is dirty/greasy and cleaning them might do the trick. Others pointed at a faulty relay. like you and Mark suggest (can changing temperature of the engine cause this kind of malfunction, you reckon') Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.