Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few thousand miles (currently 93,000) my 1994 CSE full turbo has developed some unpleasant vibrations and got harsher and noisier. Now, when running at 3000 - 4000 rpm in neutral, it vibrates and has the mid range boominess that I was used to with old high mileage VW 4 cylinder engines that do not have balancer shafts. When accelerating hard in second (it's automatic) the harshness and vibration is particularly noticeable.

Perhaps I'm just getting paranoid, but I also seem to be able to hear the air conditioning compressor clutch engaging and disengaging whilst driving at reasonable speeds, which I had never noticed before.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's been diagnosed as a dead front offside engine mount, allowing engine vibrations to pass into the body.

Imagine my joy at discovering the Saab price for the said mount. Makes the ACC fan controller seem cheap.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the car to my local Saab dealer. They opened the bonnet, put it in drive and hit both pedals, then the same in reverse. The surprising amount of movement of the engine, particularly the front rising and falling, led to a diagnosis of a dead front engine mount.

However, I had a quick look at it over the weekend, and there was no catastrophic failure evident. The mount will probably be changed later in the week. So if you can wait that long I'll report back.

·
Registered
152 Posts
from above you can try rocking the engine, though this isn't much use except for checking the top mounts.
You really need to remove the r/h wheel and liner so you can see the lower mounts. If it is badly gone you can see just by looking (the rubber will separate), otherwise you need to try lifting the engine slightly, either with a bar (like quasi http://www.quasimotors.com/mount_test.htm) or with a jack, like quasi says ' failure is very obvious'. If you are in any doubt BillJ also has a proceedure for replacement and pictures of failed mounts (http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/powertrain/enginemount.html)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I reckon 9000's are prone to vibration. I have never owned a car that picks up bumps/noises/vibration like my 9000. I am sure that I will make matters worse as I am having Konis and a load of poly bushes fitted this week.
Still, it'll corner better. For the record, I have had the wheels balanced 4 times in 6 months - balancing machines are not well calibrated. By the way, I replaced my DI cassette last week & have noticed a reduciotn in vibration as a result. Oh, Optimax seems to make the car run slightly smoother too.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The two 9000s Iv'e owned (94 & 98) were both smooth on std 195,65,15 tyres and suspension set up. Could be a bit bumpy on rough surfaces though.

Lower profile tyres will always transmit more road noise, as well as worn or firmer suspension set up.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The new front engine mount is in place, together with a new belt tensioner (aren't they cheap too!!). The vast majority of the vibration is gone. Under hard acceleration there is no major increase in noise, vibration and harshess anymore. Presumably, the engine mount was previously reaching its "end stop" in this condition, allowing direct transmission of engine vibration to the body.

Under general running, the NVH that I had noticed is much reduced, but not entirely gone. There was no obvious failure of the front engine mount evident, but it was "soft" compared to the new one (if you stood on it, it moved a bit). The new one has a different part number and different (hopefully better) design. I am now beginning to wonder whether I should have replaced the rear engine mount at the same time.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Once one has gone the rest won't be far behind, in rough terms. If you're keeping the car it's worth getting as much done in one area as possible if you're paying for the labour.
My garage will give me quotes for the work so I can decide whether it's worth it...

Nick.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had poke around following my last post, & it looks like the transmission mount is shot. The retainer is a bracket which bolt to the gearbox, holding the mount in, so it looks failrly easy to replace (Gone & said it now, haven't I). Should I go for the Abbott poly mount or any other advice before I take it off the road?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by steveb:
[qb]Should I go for the Abbott poly mount[/qb][/b]
Unfortunately, Abbott don't do a poly mount for the later gearbox (the one with the retaining bracket). I believe it is indeed easy to replace, though. JezF has had his replaced recently, even thought it hadn't obviously failed, and reports that it has made a big difference to the gearshift. His was simply an OEM rubber replacement.

I've just checked and it looks like SuperFlex still don't do one of these.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Incidentally, I believe one of the mounts failed on my Aero at Goodwood on Friday. I get vibration and also the tell-tale "clunk" when taking up the drive and when lifting off.

I'll have a look and I suspect it will be the front one. I'll avoid driving it as much as I can until I fix it so perhaps I can save the other one. I know the Townsend site describes a modification to make them last longer and maybe I'll try that this time. I'll also replace the remaining rubber upper mount with poly to try to take some strain off the hydraulic mounts. I replaced the lower mountings about 35K miles ago.

I'll take some better pictures this time round since I have a better camera now.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thought I'd resurrect this post to tell you all the good news!

My car got worse again, and this time the dealer pointed to a dying gearbox mount. That was changed and things improved slightly for a while before getting worse and worse. So whilst I was off ski(v)ing last week, the car was dissembled to find the following:

The sprocket on the exhaust side balancer shaft was so worn that the chain would simply slide over a large section off it. Two teeth have broken off (what little was left of them!!), and the others vary from being almost non existant to being about half their original size. Whether the shaft was still turning, or whether the chain was just slipping over the worst section was not clear. There was also some minor corrosion on the head.

So I now have:

1) New chains, sprockets, guides, tensioners etc
2) A skimmed head
3) New plastic tensioner pulley for the poly vee belt
4) A lighter wallet

So I have more or less a new car, and it's back to full turbo nutter mode.

Hurray!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero owner:
[qb]Said the man who has the religous gearbox    :rolleyes:  [/qb][/b]
Hopefully now miraculously cured by the healing hands of Neil at Abbott. I'm reserving judgement for now, though, as they hadn't yet driven it when Giles phoned this afternoon.

If all goes well, I'll be on a train to Manningtree in the afternoon.

Tentative

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.