Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK strange sounds are difficult to help with but this one has me baffled so help please.

When giving it some
round bends I get a sshhhshhhshh sound from the top centre of the dash, its a bit like the sound from a kettle when its just boiled and the water exposes the element and then goes back onto it. The aircon works fine. Only happens going sharply round bends.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Adrian, I haven't heard this problem personally but I've heard of it happening to someone else. IIRC it is caused by the play in the fan motor bearing. When you go round corners quickly
the outward G force causes the fan impeller to move slightly, when it touches the housing it makes the noise you describe. Maybe a shim could be fitted to take up the slop but whatever you do it probably means pulling the fan motor out

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - dont think its drains as its not a water sloshing sound more a water suddenly boiling sound. I'll investigate the fan idea by turning it off and giving the car some
on the way home.

Is it easy to get a 9000 fan motor out, only had to do a 900 before.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The blocked drains allow water to build up in the heater box, and when you go around a right hand corner, the water moves to the left of the heater box and meets the fast moving fan blades. Hence the sound that you hear is not a water sloshing sound, but a "fan blade sound" as the blades knock the water out of the way. It's easy enough to check for water in the heater box.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was blocked drains and was very easily fixed. I just pulled off the aquarium drain into the engine bay, then I could feel the drain from the airbox. After unblocking it a whole waterfall of water came out. The drain pipe from the airbox has a flattened end which was blocked with mud/dirt etc - I've now stuck a plastic pipe up it so it should'nt block again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts