Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, wonder if anyone has thoughts on this one.
for sometime my 96 cse has been making a fairly loud rude noise when starting from cold.it can best be described as a vibration, which stops after the engine starts to warm up.car starts first time everytime but sounds like a bag of nails for the first few minutes.looking through the history of the car it has been mentioned on service notes but no fault found.for the life of me i cant trace were it is coming from. any suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
494 Posts
the first possibility that comes to mind for me would be a starter issue, possibly?

a sticky ignition switch, or a sticky starter gear (i am sure there is a specific name for the gear used to rotate the flywheel but i am at a loss).

you say the noise happens 'when starting from cold.' the noise does not occur with a warm engine, i presume?

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
If the starter pinion has seized and kept the starter engaged for "the first few minutes" I would expect the starter to have died. It's not designed to do anything for more than a few seconds and definitely not at full engine speed.

I suppose the edge of the ring gear could be just touching? But for " a few minutes", every time?

Is the starter still turning but out of contact with the ring gear? Stuck solenoid?

Otherwise, clutch?

Bit further afield, a problem with a chain tensioner allowing it to stick until the oil has warmed?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the car is an auto. noise only occurs from a cold start,in fact the colder the weather the worse it is.i thought it may have been the exhaust/cat vibrating against something,but all seems well.starts first time everytime.if i increase the revs while cold the noise will stop until it returns to idle. once temp starts to rise runs perfectly.

·
Registered
494 Posts
taking a stab in the dark here... have you tried removing the belts and check the idler/tensioner pulleys along with the alternator, A/C, water pump, power steering?

you mention the noise goes away with increased revs. is there a certain RPM that the noise fades away at? does the noise happen only while in park or while in neutral or while driving?

i hope that some possibilities can be ruled out with further testing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thxs for the suggestions xsassh.the noises stop when revs increased to as little as 1200rpm and yes it can only be heard when idling.think i will investigate your idea about the pulleys.just to mention if i drive off from cold an put into nuetral you can still hear it until engine warms.dont know if this discounts anything?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
It's also possible that there is a problem with the hydraulic tappets - this would be most noticeable at idle and would sound like badly adjusted tappets (which is what it is as they aren't able to pmp themselves up to pressure). Perhaps an oilway is locked? This sort of noise would go away after a short while usually, and would be less likely to happen when the engine was hot, and therefore the oil more fluid.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mmm, before starting the beast today i squirted a bucket load of wd40 at all the pulleys/tensioner
ok not high tech but on starting...nothing! just purred beautifully. next step take of belt and examine .any ideas what to look for and how to test various pulleys, haynes as ever not very helpful

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by xassh:
[qb]the first possibility that comes to mind for me would be a starter issue, possibly?

a sticky ignition switch, or a sticky starter gear (i am sure there is a specific name for the gear used to rotate the flywheel but i am at a loss).

you say the noise happens 'when starting from cold.' the noise does not occur with a warm engine, i presume? [/qb][/b]
The correct name for the gear which engages the flywheel is the bendix mine occasionally sticks too, it's usually where the dust from the clutch clogs it up a bit especially if the engine's had a slight oil leak at some point and it's leaked onto the bendix, all the dust just sticks to the oil and you end up with a a thick grimey substance on the shaft on which the bendix slides, this results in the bendix staying out too long and making a noise a bit like someone trying to strangle a chicken

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Mine is making the same noise, its the bearing in the pulley tensioner, I thought it was the belt slipping on cold start up but replaced the belt and noticed the pulley bearing had a lot of movement...I've a spare on to fit asap!

·
Registered
494 Posts
originally posted by K9SAAB:
mmm, before starting the beast today i squirted a bucket load of wd40 at all the pulleys/tensioner  ok not high tech but on starting...nothing! just purred beautifully. next step take of belt and examine .any ideas what to look for and how to test various pulleys, haynes as ever not very helpful  [/b]
check out this site http://quasimotors.com/repairs.htm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.