Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I've had the car (2.3turbo)I've heard whistling from the turbo, that about 50,000 miles now. The turbo actually failed and was replaced 20,000 miles ago with no difference.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
My 2.0l Carlsson doesn't whistle it just "wh000she's". Your's probably has a different unit to mine (Garrett unknown model, was originally a Mitusbishi I believe).

I'm not gonna argue with john coz he knows far more than I ever will.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Nope, I don't claim to know more than anyone - there is always room to learn. ;-)

I don't have a 9000, but I have a 1991 900s lpt. The best time to hear the turbo is to drive up an incline or hill in third gear at about 30mph then gently ease on and off the accelerator - you should hear the turbo come in.

The best way I can decribe this is like hearing an american style emergency vehicle siren in the distance. In fact, one passenger once told me to slow down as they heard a siren - it was the turbo!

I interpreted gassy's "whistling" as the above - but then you might describe it as "whooshing".

gassy, if your sound is not like the above, then maybe my description of it being normal is not accurate. If it is like the above then I do not think there is need to worry.

1989agoodvintage ...please tell me if you think what I have said is wrong - I am happy to take constructive comments and am happy to admit if I got something wrong (yes - it did happen once! ;-) )

Anyone any other views?

Cheers

/john

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Maybe I've got cloth ears or something but I've had 4 turbocharged Saabs and never noticed any unusual noises related to the turbo on any of them except when a pipe blew of the intercooler and that made plenty of noise. I believe that air/vacuum leaks can cause a whistle.

·
Registered
244 Posts
for what it's worth I've a 1989 9000 2 litre turbo 16 with the mitsubishi turbo and 95K on the clock. the turbo is almost inaudible and i have ears like a bat(pointy and furry??), or at least very sensitive. compared to a scooby or cosworth there seems to be no turbo whoosh at all.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
My 1992 9000 CSE 2.3 turbo has always whistled as turbo winds up, which you could only ever with the driver's window down. But more recently there has been a separate and distinct 'asthematic whine' heard inside the car with the windows up, as the turbo spin increases. Is this any cause for concern ?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Turbos definitely whistle (8 various turbo cars), but as you get older you are less able to hear it. They say that a loud whistle = imminent failure but I've had some with pronounced whistles, no probs. If car smokes on start up then turbo seals might be thinking about failing. I always allow the car to idle for about halfa minute before driving off first thing and always let engine idle for at least a minute when stopping. I think I am being ultra-cautious, though. Letting the turbo cool down is really only necessary if you have been caning the car just before wanting to turn engine off.
Dump valves make the chish noise you hear (if you can hear it over the 130dB radio usually on as well).

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Well, put it this way. I drove a CS Carlsson which had been Abbott Modfied an that sounded like a boiling kettle. The car had the "big exhaust gas flowed head" and huge exhaust with an Oval back box, so those may have been the culprits and not the turbo itself.

Mines currently got standard everthing apart from the exchange turbo and replacement exhaust. It now has a CS Aero back box and mid section as Saab no longer make the original twin pipe unit and I cannot afford a clone stainless unit made to the original spec.

The sound I hear from scooby's (as john pointed out) sounds more like a sharp "psssst" sound (god this is getting really technical now ). Whistling usually appears under boost not as the boost is dumped. Agreed?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'll probably stutter a bit here but so what 9hic!) it's christmas.

my 900 carlsson hd a turbo whistle before it degenerayed to the grave. sounded like distant police wailers and scared the sh!t out of me the odd time. healthy whistle though. then it became more like a raucous bearing noise at a fixed pitch (ie it didnt vary from its tone up and down). Iknew someting was wrong as if the impellor couldnt turn quicker than a speifically slower speed than normal. a few days later it just enabled me to leave everyone in my dust - well smoke actually as i had no boost.

now that the new re-con unit is on, there is now sound at all (although it may be above human audibility[?] or not present).

when i did experiemnce a whistle it would sound very 'pure' (like aled jones on top note - remember him?) and if in 4th at about 40-50, would increase a la wailers, as i depressed the accelerator (with no intent on flying). now with the new one, i cant tell sincw it would be drowned out by the whooooooooooosh behind the dash: bummer!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I agree that Turbo whistling is a 'normal' characteristic.

Although, all Turbos vary depending on accoustic factors, actual boost settings, etc.

My last 9000 LPT gave a beautiful whistle but only if the throttle was held at exactly the right degree.

My current 9000 LPT has no audible whistle at all, which I miss. Maybe I will resort to blackcarlssons' solution, and broadcast my own immitations.. great idea (OK, so he was only joking )

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
All turbos whistle to some degree, normally the bigger the turbo the louder the whistle. When i was in the army the crusader lorries could be heard coming from about half a mile!! I can only just here mine whistle if the windows are up and the radio off, but if i have the windows open, especially in a narrow road with houses either side, it is quite loud.

Neil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.