Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been using my car much recently as I have been sick. However, I came to use it today and it seemed to want to idle at about 2000rpm. A couple of sets of lights later, it was pulsing from 1500-2000rpm and back. Is the cold confusing it as I have just been out again and it seems ok.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check the air hoses on the inlet manifold - the little bugger have worked their way loose on mine on a couple of occasions, the most annoying was a tired hose that ran off to a sensor bolted to the bulkhead

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Jez, you might also want to check the idle control valve and give it a clean. Perhaps there is dirt that has been holding moisture that froze in the valve. I would think it wouldn't take long to melt, though. It does sound like a sticky valve.

If you clean it, you might find that things are even worse until you pull the Trionic fuse (fuse 5, from memory?) or disconnect the battery to reset the ECU and make it adapt to teh new (non-sticky) behaviour of the valve.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi

My Aero displayed the exact same symptom about a month ago but it lasted all day. It was at the same time I had a hole in the exhaust and although it behaved fine the next day I was told by BPV that the exhaust hole could have caused this. Its been fine since I replaced the holed section of the exhaust.

Julian

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys. Bill, sounds like it may be this. Not the exhaust as I have a brand new JT system. It makes sense that it is something to do with the cold weather. People must be thinking 'there goes another old git in a Saab' as I am parking and the thing is idling at 2000rpm.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I also had exactly the same syptoms, but i also had a pulsing of the electrical system caused by a defective battery.

Replacing it solved my problems.

But judging by the other answers it appears that there are a LOT of possible causes!

Skiddins

1 - 8 of 8 Posts