Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Right ill start with the history:

had a collision about 3 months ago, most of the front end was wreked including all the rads, bonnet bumper lights etc etc.

As the accident occured only a mile or so away from home I drove it back very gently.

Due to finacial dificulties and the fact that I only had TPFT cover I have only recently started to put it all back together.

While the car was not driveable I also removed the heater plate from the manifold and cleaned the throttle body.

Yesterday I flushed the cooling system (see yesterdays post with regards to leaking rad) and put some injector cleaner in the tank with about quarter of a tank full of petrol, and all was fine, car run perfectly idling correctly with minimal variation in rpm.
I also put some rad seal in last night and ran the car for 10 mins.

This morning I started the car up to see if the rad seal had worked and the car Immediately started to idle at about 1800RPM so I left it for a few minutes to see if it settled (not sure if the removal of the heat plate may have had a bearing on it as it was a bit cooler and very misty this morn) But it didn't so first I gave the accelerator a quick nudge and it then started to hunt from about 2000 to 2500 rpm,I then turned the engine off and left it for a few minutes.

When I attempted to start the car again it was very lumpy and with no input to the accelerator it was idleing around the 400 - 500 rpm mark and stalled.

I have just disconected the battery to allow the ECU to reset while typing this, to see if it has any affect.

Other relevant info: the DI was new about 10 months ago and new plugs were installed aprox. 6 months ago, also at the mo the air con compressor is not connected due to no rad at present.

Does any one have any ideas as to where I should start to look?

I could to a compression test just in case I have blown the head gasket but I don't think that's the case as there was certainly no adverse pressurisation in the cooling system on the 3 occasions I have refilled the system.

I'm a bit lost here and really can't afford to take it to a Saab garage at present.

Please can any one give me some ideas?

Thanks in advance

Damian

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Two things come to mind, though neither from personal experience.

Have you dislodged a vacuum line or got a split.

Was the throttle body really clean when you left it? It only needs to stick a tiny bit open to get the symptoms you describe. Sometimes the cleaner just moves the gunge to places where it wasn't before. Get the engine slightly warm and it will soften and run into the wrong places.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sgould,

All the vacume pipe were replaced not long before the accident and re-checked when I put it all back together, so I don't think that's the case.

As far as the throttle body is concerned, I used carb cleaner to remove all the sludge, but that was done a fair while before I put it back on the car so it may be sticking.

I think I will take it off now and re-clean it.

Thanks

Damian

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bu66er, I my haste to remove the IAC valve I broke the connection (pulled the clip rather than push it ) so now aralditeing the plug back together

Also found that I hadn't connected one of the earth straps back on to the manifold, which seems to earth the injectors ohps. One disadvantage of striping the engine of ancileries 3 months before putting it back together.

So will see if it all works in a few hours or so.

Damian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.