Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After parking up my 98 2.3T for aproximately 1 hour I can back to it to find the lights on (which you cannot do with the ignition off) and the windscreen wipers going!

The lights problem has happened before, but the wipers on is new.

I suspect that water may be getting where it shouldn't, but does anyone have any idea what I should check?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Sorry Ian, not much idea about this one without trailing through the wiring diagram. Clearly the headlights and wipers are getting a feed somehow and its likely the two are combined. I'm guessing at the relays being the problem. But not sure if the wiper relay and headlight relay is behind the pass airbag?
Was the wiper switch left in the on position? I've had a faulty ignition switch on a 900 this could explain your lights coming on (if you have fuse 35 fitted for the daylight running lights) and wipers if the switch was left in the on position.
Derek are you about you are usually good with the electrical side of things.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I've just logged in Adrian. Your theory about the ignition switch sounds plausible. Other than that it must be relate to the relays, since there is no way that a bit of water could transmit the 9 Amps drawn by 2 dipped beams nor the 2 or 3 Amps drawn by the wipers. However, the headlamp relays are under the bonnet, in front of the battery and the wiper relay is under the dash. Furthermore only the intermittent wipe and the wash/wipe functions are driven by the relay.
Sorry I can't think of anything clever at the moment.
Maybe Saabman has an answer?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Only ever come across this type of problem a few times and both times it was caused by water in fuse/relay boxes.It is a common fault on 1992 on ford grandads where the water runs off the screen and into the fuse box and does stange things turning on lights,wipers,even trying to start the engine

So don't rule out water being the cause,check the fuse boxes under the bonnet for waterlogging.
Apart from this I have no Idea,But I'll have a think when I get a minute

·
Registered
400 Posts
As I've already said I'm no techy but in an old car of mine when I bought it, it had had the wires to the alarm cut off but when I went through some terrential rain I noticed that the red light on the dash for the alarm was actually alight for ages until everything dried out. I know they look to be two seperate faults and I think that Saabman has it right about probable water in the fuse/relay box. But it might be worth checking for splits or cracks in the sheathing around wires/cables only because I've been there and done that.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Do you think it might be worth pulling out the fuses for wipers/lights when it does it? This should at least tell you if there is a feed coming from somewhere it shouldn't. Perhaps it might also be worth checking the wiring looms that pass to the steering column switches to make sure there are no short circuits.

AB

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have seen this before....
It can happen when you bridge the brake light positive feed and the sidelights...this feeds power into the ignition circuit and then all sorts of strange things happen like the car runs with the ignition switch off ,the main lights come on and, by pressing the brake it switches off..weird...
this was caused by some prat fitting a normal single contact bulb into the dual stop / tail light socket...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.