Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have encountered a strange clicking noise (stationary at idle) underhood that comes and goes regardless of operating temp etc. I thought it was coming from the distributor. By chance I discovered stepping on the brake pedal stops it.
This has me puzzled. Any thoughts?

1987 9000 Turbo
John

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Reading the 1st line I would have said ACC clutch (if you have Acc).

But when you said about the brake pedal it makes me think APC solenoid (which reverts to base boost when the brake (or cruise) are used.

They often click on C900's (and possibly 9000's) when revved to about 3000 and stationary.

Andrew

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would suggest that it is the BPC solenoid. This is the plastic thing located on or near the radiator with three pipes coming out of it (one going to turbo, one to wastegate and one to intake) and a lead with two wires going into the top.

Remove the plug, clean the contacts then remove the device and clean out the internals with carb cleaner. This should stop the clicking.

Alanb

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've got a tick also at idle, when I bought the car the garage said that it was the injectors and that this was quite normal. It sounds a little like a worn tappet but its not coming from that part of the engine.
As this is the only 9000 I've owned I've nothing to compare it to.
Perhaps some kindly 9000 owner could invite me to listen to their engine one weekend.

Jon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts