Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided that the Trent Saab stage 2 kit sucks.. bigtime.. Can't take what the stock setup takes on my 9-3 on the 9000...

After 1 highspeed stop and 5 laps of the ring.. the front discs on the 9000 got warped... even with proper cooling down and bedding in.

I replaced the discs with another set of Highcarbon Brembo discs, with the same DS2500 pads.. and after 9laps of the ring.. again.. warped.. even with proper cooling down and bedding in.

Sooo.. back to stock.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Woah, I never used mine on a track day, so I never got to find out how they responded to serious playtime. It could be with the 9000 and the Aero rims that cooling could be a problem. But to be honest, I prefer my current setup (Pagid FR's pads and ATE Power discs), it's more compromised but it works well enought on the track and road.

But at the end of the day, there's no substitute for big calipers and well ventilated discs.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Mark,

That's the setup I have on mine, and they have been Very hot (over 650c!!) without warping.

They have done Anglesey and just this weekend Hethel.

I've had then so hot that the alloy wheels have turned permanantly Brown!

They still pull up real even, straight and with no judder.

The front pads are just about used up now (3000 miles).

Andrew

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
That's true, Bills running the Brembo grey-irons discs as well, with Ferodo DS3000's IIRC. I don't think he has had problems either.

Mark, sorry if this sounds blatently obvious, but have you checked that your calipers are OK and that the brakes aren't binding at all?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.. but the ring is a bit different to short courses...

9 laps = 198 KMS of hard track driving. Also there are 3 stretches where one is braking from around 240KPH (150mph) down to 50KPH (30mph), per lap.

Calipers aren't binding and braking systems are in excellent order.

I'm converting back to stock next week, not convinced about the DS2500s....not now that I've given them the real test.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Mark one thing to check is the integreity of the front wheel assemblies. I had a problem on a C900 that kept warping discs. It was not a problem with brakes pads, discs or calipers. Looks like the car took a heavy knock when driven through a pothole or drainhole at some point in it's life. Required replacement of some suspension assembly.

So, don't necessarily blame the discs or pads - the problem might be arising from the vehicle itself.

Of course, it might not, but it is another thing to consider.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Although I haven't driven the ring myself, I get the impression that it perhaps isn't as hard as some tracks in terms of rapid cycling. Sustained periods of high temps on discs do not usually cause a problem.

Reviewing what we know:
I used the same setup as you on my first Abbott day and had no problems depsite giving it some very serious stick.

Scaero achieved disc temps of over 600deg at Anglesey and had no probs.

BillJ literally cooked his brakes at the last Abbott day to the point of fade and smoke, still no disc warping.

DS2500s are a cool pad- ie they help reduce disc temps.

Given all this and the fact that you've followed proper bedding in and warm up/cool down, it really does look like your problem lies somewhere else as /john suggests. It could be your discs aren't mounted true- have you checked the runout?

HTH

[edit]

I would however suggest that stops fom 150mph to 30mph are beyond the reasonable capabilities of the standard diameter discs

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I would have thought that it would be something to do with the fact your car is an automatic and therefore no use of engine braking.

I managed to warp the front discs on my automatic by constant accelerating and braking on the A27. 70mph brake for roundabout, back up to 70mph brake for roundabout, back up to 70mph brake for roundabout, back up to 70mph brake for roundabout. That's the A27 for you!

I now ease off the accelerator way before the junction/roundabout to preserve the brakes.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Toby Field:
[qb]I managed to warp the front discs on my automatic by constant accelerating and braking on the A27. 70mph brake for roundabout, back up to 70mph brake for roundabout, back up to 70mph brake for roundabout, back up to 70mph brake for roundabout. [/qb][/b]
I would only expect this to cause warping if you did the 70mph stop from completely cold or you left your foot on the brake for a significant time after coming to a stop...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
did I not read somewhere (I must do a search) that someone was claiming that brake warpage does not occur and is down to bedding in procedure ?
I do not know how valid this is ,,
I shall do a search and try and find the thread...

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Originally posted by Toby Field:
[qb]I would have thought that it would be something to do with the fact your car is an automatic and therefore no use of engine braking.
[/qb][/b]
Surely as the 9000 autobox has "locked up" third and fourth gears (i.e. no torque converter slip), engine braking in those gears is the same as it would be with a manual box with the same gear ratios.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts