Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
There are a lot of technical specs on the engine internals in the Haynes workshop manual for the 9000. One of the better points of that manual.

From your earlier posts, do I gather that you're interested in how much tuning the engine can take? If so, I know that there have been B202 engines like yours tuned to around the 300hp mark without internal modification. I'm more familiar with the 2.3 litre B234 engine, which is said to be able to go to 350hp on the standard internals.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by S.o.b.:
[qb]yeah thanks guys, not so much part numbers as much as just what goods it has[/qb][/b]
Goods? Can you elaborate?
Haynes will give you technical specs - measurements of components, power outputs, boost levels, valve timing, that sort of thing. Pretty sure it also mentions things like the sodium-filled exhaust valves. Don't know for certain if it mentions whether the pistons are forged or not.

I know the Saab inline-four engines are made from high quality materials. I've never known one suffer from cylinder bore wear, for example, no matter how many miles it's done.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's a thread out there where I posted the specifics of the B201/202/212 engine family as known to me - that might be (part of) what you're looking for?

Anyways - B202 has cast Mahle pistons, forged crank, don't know about con rods other than that they seem to be very sturdy. Cast iron block has high nickel content and is extremely hard wearing as a result. No piston cooling oil jets, though.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I don't think you'll get near 350bhp - maybe 300, probably nearer 270. Other's might disagree, but I don't believe a TD04 can produce 350 and I am right in thinking you have a 2.0 engine?

Anyway, it's not power you want; it's torque!

Take my advice - go and buy yourself a later 2.3t, preferably an Aero and a Maptun/Speedparts ecu.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]Anyway, it's not power you want; it's torque!

[/qb][/b]
Up to a point - in reality, I'd rather rev my 2.0 (ok, 2.1ish) a little higher to get at say 300 hp whilst keeping torque to a halfway realistic level for the gearbox and front wheels to take.
Of course, the shorter stroke of the 2.0 means it's more willing to rev, too.

You can have too much of a good thing, you know...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
According to the Bently manual on the C900, the B202 has forged rods. Same engine in the 9K if I'm not mistaken.

Usually cast rods are very bulky.

Also it's not how much power you can make, but rather how much detonation you can survive with cast pistons. The stock pistons might "take" 400+ hp, but even one signle detonation would be the end of them.

Forged slugs can just take a lot more abuse.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Eric, I notice the rev thing on Tandino's old 900 as it has a very different character to my 9000 Aero.

Fair comment re torque, but aren't the 9000 boxes a wee bit stronger anyway?

Still don't think that a genuine 350bhp is feasible with those mods.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have seen 336 bhp from an '86 9000T with less mods than my list (and same turbo).thats why i was thinking 350ish. that TD04 i spec'd is bigger than a stock aero's. i also want a 9000 aero maptun'd but the '87 would be a track car only .

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Interesting. I wonder how accurate the RR was as that seems like a heck of a lot of power. To confirm, your engine is a 2.0, not 2.3?

My (new) 900T16s has an awful lot of mods (getting near to Eric's?), but I don't think it produces any more than 270bhp, possibly less. Having said that, if I wanted to break it, I expect it could have more...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Well - that 336 hp is posted on 900Aero.com form an older stock engine with not too many mods and an LH chip from Ragnar Burrenius(sp?) with an obscene amount of torque. But TBH I don't think these results would be repeatable on another day, on another dyno. Given what I've seen, it sounds suspiciously high.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Here are the data of the '86 9000 33x hp dyno run as posted to 900Aero.com:

Data from Johan, Vänersborg, Sweden

333,[email protected]
516,[email protected]

Engine -86 280000 km. only mod = new timing chain.
Stock exhaust manifold with Fhinnadapter
19T #7, ported
Green injectors 0280 155 968 [email protected]
Iveco FMIC
Open airfilter
Anders Olsson rebuilt APC
Ragnar fuel chip
3" exhaust.

temprature in dyno room?
>aprox 20° celsius

Static or dynamic dyno, and how static or dynamic?? time @ measuring points?
>Dynamic on 5:th gear. runs timed at 15 secs.
No static runs.

Boost at max power?? Max boost??
>circa 1,3 bar. Loads 1,5 bar 4000-4200, then the APC spooked and lowered the boost to 1,3 bar until rev limit 6235rpm.
_________________[/b]

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
eric thats pretty interesting

my next project now that monster has been tamed is to look at where I can go on my son's 91 2.3 carlsson which has di/apc (with tcs !!)
johnny from maptun advises to change to trionic and upgrade from there (93 trionic is relatively easy to fit for some reason...)
but if there are fuel and apc modifications then I might go down that route ...
but there is the problem of the relatively small turbo..
a hybrid tdo4 with a bigger compressor wheel was the prefered route here..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.