Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm almost out of ideas. My '93 CS runs hott, right about on the red area ever since I cookd the head gasket and replaced it and the thermostat. I have the A/C compressor unplugged and rigged up a switch on the dash so I can turn on the fan whenever I need. When the needle gets about 1/4 up I turn it on high speed and it still quickly goes right to the top. I just flushed my radiator and didn't appear to have anything in the fluid and put new stuff back into it. Still....runs hott so I ordered a new water pump. Putting it on tomorrow and hopfully makes a difference. Anyone with any ideas of a fix??

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sounds a bit like the radiator is blocked. You wouldn't really notice it just flushing through with water it needs proper testing. The only real way is to have it out and get it flow tested by a radiator company. Apparently these aluminium cored rads fitted to newer cars corrode slowly and the powder that is created by the corrosion process gradually blocks the tiny passages in the radiator. You could try a bottle of the radiator flush first but it doesn't always work.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oops, forgot to say, run the car up to temperature and try putting your hand on different areas of the radiator. If you have any cool or cold areas you have a blockage. If it is all hot you might have a block somewhere else or it is the pump as you think.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Also possibly the inside of the hoses are falling apart and a flap of rubber blocks the flow. When you glance at it it looks OK. But a blocked radiator is more likely. A blocked one will take the flow from a garden hose easily and look OK.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I flushed it I added some stuff that was suppose to break down any [expletive deleted] that might be in there hoping it would work. But I came across something else today that leads me to believe it might be the water pump. I usually flip the switch I installed to turn the fan on right when I start the car and it goes to about 2/3 up and stays there unless I drive faster where it goes just to the red. Well once I didn't touch the fan and let it come on by itself, and it just came on low and the gauge went to where it always goes even when I have the fan on high. I ordered a new one and hopfully thats it. I tried feeling the raditator and its hott everywhere, now cool spots that I could find so I duno if its blocked anywhere.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Originally posted by sgould:
[qb]Also possibly the inside of the hoses are falling apart and a flap of rubber blocks the flow.  When you glance at it it looks OK.  But a blocked radiator is more likely.  A blocked one will take the flow from a garden hose easily and look OK. [/qb][/b]
My original 94 2.0 lpt developed a habit of running well up into the red, chucking out "check radiator" and "check engine" warnings all over the shop esp in slow town traffic. I can only agree with sgould - check the radiator and your hoses.

In my case it was the main pipe fitting in to the top r/h(? as I remember) side of the rad that, although looked fine, had a hairline crack. A cheap and quick diy fix.

·
Registered
382 Posts
not a cure but might help.
the racing boys use a water wetter which lowers the temp of the water. i dont know how but it worked in lotus i had. all the racing sites and good motot accessory shops sell it.
you could try a product called fernox which cleans out yor cental heating system. hope you solve the problem

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I think water wetter do the same think as detergent, i.e. they remove the surface tension of the water and allow it to make better contact with the metal surfaces (and therefore transfer heat to the water better).

Without water wetter the tiny surface imperfections and trapped air combined with the surface tension stop the water making a good contact with the engine.

Or something like that. Now bring on the experts...

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Found this on the WWW..

Water Wetter - It is an additive product. Water Wetter is what is called a
"surfactant." What this means is that it reduces the surface tension of the water
or in other words, it allows the water/fluid to "rub" closer to the metal allowing it to
better draw off heat. Water Wetter works and it is good stuff. However, if you add
it to an EG antifreeze product your results are minimal. It will reduce
temperatures, but by only a small amount. Added to water, you will see a
significant difference in temperature reduction. But it will not raise the boil point of
the water nor does it offer any antifreeze protection. So your engine may run a bit
cooler, but when it gets hot it will "spit out" the coolant before other products do.
That is not good, because now you'll have less coolant in the engine. Using more
than the recommended amount (4 capfuls to a quart) is a waste and it will not
make any difference, only use their recommended amount.[/b]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.