Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I noticed the other day that my odometer was turning intermittently. My car is a 1993 9000i CSE.

Now according to the Haynes book of lies, the speedo runs off an electrical sensor on the back of the gearbox on models after 1988, but no mention is made of the odometer drive.

I only noticed this the other day after pressing the trip counter button after refueling, and the 15 mile journey home took exactly 0.0 miles The next day I had to nip down the shops and it had started working again, but I noticed this morning on the way into work that it was turning slower than usual, and finally stopped.

Has anyone fixed a similar problem in their cars? Also does anyone know how the odometer is driven?

After all how else am I supposed to bragg to non Saab owners about the intergalactic milage my car has done?

Cheers
John P

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Is it just the trip meter that's stopped or the total mileage as well?

I haven't seen a 9000 speedo, but assuming its mechanical and not a digital electronic one like my 9-5 and it's just the tripmeter....

On the ones (non Saab) I have taken apart there is a lever action that disengages the cog wheels from the dials when you press reset button. Then the rest of the button travel spins the dials to zero. The cogs re-engage the dials under "spring" pressure (bit of bendy plastic
). If the spring has got tired or broken the cogs will float - sometimes engaging with the dials, sometimes not. Of course, Saab may use a different method or the whole thing might just be dirty.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the milage counter as well as the trip counter.

But the mucky cog theory certainly sounds reasonable. I had a browse for VDO odometers on the web, and one of the problems mentioned is a cog can break. 900s suffer from this a bit it seems. If I get time at the weekend I'll take a look although that depends on how the other thread I'm about to start goes.....

Cheers
John P

1 - 3 of 3 Posts