Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stereo wiring and amp + "How to spend £350.00".

I have checked through the archives but cannot find all the answers I need so here goes...

I have a 1995 9000 Aero with the standard stereo with a 6x stacker in the boot well. Popped into my local car stereo store yesterday to buy a new head unit - Sony xplod or similar - and they got confused with my connections.

I have a 10 pin pink connector in the top of the three sockets on the back of the existing stereo, and a grey one in the bottom one. Nothing in the middle socket. A circular DIN type plug for the CD autochanger. The wiring loom has definitely been cut about in the past as there is plenty of black tape and stuff holding it together which makes me suspect I am not looking at a standard Saab fit, or perhaps someone in the past hacked it all about for a different head unit, and them put the original Saab unit and plugs back in when they sold the car.

I have found on other topics the wiring diagrams and colour codes etc. but -
How can I tell if my car has a separate amplifier ?
If so, should I get the fitters to use it instead of the amp in the new head unit ?
I have a budget of about £300 - £350 to spend, so for a bit of fun - any suggestions as to how I should spend it ? (and I mean on music not performance !)

Ideally I would like to just plug in my iPod and stop there. My son reckons someone clever could make a cable with a jack plug on one end for the iPod output, and a circular DIN plug on the other end to plug into the autochanger socket to feed the signal into my existing head unit and bingo ! MP3 for "free". Any thoughts on this challenge ?!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: Stereo wiring and amp + "How to spend £350.00".

Hi,

Below the drivers seat is where I believe the amp sits, well that's where mine is. I entered the code on mine into the Electronic Parts Catelogue and it said electric ariel control and amp.

As for the fitting of the stereo, a good place should easily manage to wire it in. Even if it is in a bad state like you said (cut wires, tape etc..). It would just mean them figuring out which wires are for what, so as long as they have a multi metre it's possible.

Shame the previous owner made a mess in the first place though as it would of been much easier for you to buy and iso converter. It might be worth buying one of the converters still and soldering it to your wires.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: Stereo wiring and amp + "How to spend £350.00".

Oh yeah, forgot to say, if it's anything like my amp it's nothing too powerful, so you won't need any filters unless you want to remove the base from the speakers in preparation for an amp with subs etc...

Not sure if the CD Changer will fit other models if you get a different brand of headunit.

Best of luck with getting it sorted

1 - 3 of 3 Posts