Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost I know the speakers are blown(kaput) they can still squeak out some noise, just not much. The probs are that sometimes the left side goes out. Sometimes all speakers go out, but the head still has power. It goes out at sparatic times, never the same action puts it out, and it only comes back when it wants to. I am conflicted as to replace the whole system (way major dosh!) or just put in new speaks myself. (way less dosh) The question is, is the head shot, or are we just talking loose wires? Anyone ever go through this? I would appreciate any advice. Also any advice pertaining to the actual replacement of speakers would be great, Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Sorry
It sounds like a head problem to me..
Speakers are hard to blow to the stage where there is little noise coming from them
usually you get 'orrible distortion but you always get some noise
the clue here is that it comes and goes (oooeerr missuss) this could be connectors or head unit
the iso connectors are pretty reliable... however if there has been a bodge job ....
you need to slip out the head unit and take a look

·
Registered
155 Posts
i agree that it's not a speaker problem, i would suggest an amp problem, to answer the question, get a speaker froma breakers yard, dont matter what car its off, wire it in, and see if it makes a difference. you didnt say if it were a saab unit or an aftermarket unit, if saab, i have a complete saab 9000 system (RDS tape unit, seperate CD player, and din size amp), it's just sat in my spare parts shed. make me an offer and its yours. my mate got a price to get his amp repaired MEGA BUCKS, so he put a kenwwod in instead.

hope you get it sorted

teesside saab

·
Registered
224 Posts
My aftermarket blaupunkt does the same when it plays from the cd changer. Left side goes out without warning, sometimes after 2 minutes, sometimes after an hour. Radio and tape are ok. In the beginning I thought it was speakers too, as sometimes when it cuts off you can still hear a bit of distorted sound coming out the left side. The weird thing is the stereo is ALWAYS ok when first switched on. That makes me think that it can't be a loose contact or a broken changer cable, since it is ok every time I switch it on.

Mystery....

Harry

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Originally posted by Teesside Saab:
[qb]i have a complete saab 9000 system (RDS tape unit, seperate CD player, and din size amp), it's just sat in my spare parts shed. make me an offer and its yours.

teesside saab[/qb][/b]
Sorry to lose you a sale teeside but as Daansaab lives in the U.S.A the system will be useless to him as they don't use the same frequencys as us in the UK.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Originally posted by Andrew (wrighar):
[qb]At least you can switch them between uk and us frequencies.[/qb][/b]
I have never seen a switch on any radio to switch between different frequencies and I have removed hundreds,but I do Know certain manufacturers will re-programme a radio at cost to work at different frequencies,so I feel I was right with my original post

·
Registered
334 Posts
Originally posted by saabman:
[qb]I have never seen a switch on any radio to switch between different frequencies and I have removed hundreds,but I do Know certain manufacturers will re-programme a radio at cost to work at different frequencies,so I feel I was right with my original post   [/qb][/b]
Bit of a coincidence this - cos I did this today on my 9-5 by accident.

I was trying to bring up the Stereos option (minimum startup vol/telephone vol etc) and being a typical engineer, I didn't get the manual out to find out which button to press - but I thought I knew best.

I held down the seek button whilst tuning the radio on.

Instead of getting the options, the radio came on but it had reset , so I tried to tune in some radio stations - one round here called Century 106 is on 106.0 MHz, but the unit would now only tune in 0.2 MHz steps and I couldn't select 106.0.
Also the RDS functions refused to work.

At the time, I simply thought I'd selected a RDS on/off option which isn't listed, so I repeated the procedure and now unit will tune in 0.1 Mhz steps and RDS is back.

Having read this tread, this sounds to me like a US/Europe option selection.

Unit is SAAB AS2 I think, don't know if its the same on the units in the 9000 but worth a try

Cheers, Vince

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just to the first problem on topic - how to tell what is gone... There was suggestion to temporarily replace speakers with test speaker... WRONG... Much easyer is to get the headunit out, and to test there! At first, SAABs usualy have the long wires there, 2nd it is so easy to disconnect the wires from unit, no matter what kind of connector is there, 3rd you only have to have a couple feet of wire with bare ends, to connect this connector (on SAABs side)with any portable radio receiver which has disconnectable speakers or just speaker outputs. So you can check your SAABs speakers one after another. (They usualy are presented as couples (pairs) of pins arranged side by side in a 4 pair column (ISO).)

By the way, a few days ago I have got a automotive multimedia center(RADIO;CD;TV;GPS) "COMAND 2.0" (2U in height) which is typicaly installed by manufacturer on Mercedes E-class. So I now have a problem - to install it on my CS or just to sell off and buy parts for real InCarComputerSystem (MP3;DVD;GPS;etc). Any suggestions....

BR
Dzintars

·
Registered
334 Posts
Originally posted by Leon (murphwiz):
[qb]Vince the button you were looking for was TP... brings up the menu... now if only i could remeber which button does the speaker test?
Found that by accident![/qb][/b]
Cheers Leon, we engineers do look at manuals after
cocking something up, luckily I'd only lost the contents of the presets.

What I was trying to do was increase the minimum startup volume cos I'd previously set it too low. Now sorted

Vince

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.