Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please can anyone out there suggest what to do about our intermitent sound system?

radio, tape and CD are all awesome when working, but they 'shut down'for periods then return unexpectedly. Sometimes a thump on the fascia to the left of the head unit will trigger some sounds
but generally it is a very random treat that we can enjoy some in-car entertainment.

If you can help, I would be very grateful-you could save me my marriage and my licence-(I prefer to listen to the turbo!)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
hmm - sorry but the only thing I can think off is to pull the stereo unit out and switch it on. - then wiggle all the wires and connectors until you can identify a source of the fault. I assume from what you are saying, the whole unit shuts down - so it must be one of the power leads which I think are red,yellow and black (actually that was a total guess).
I'm about to pull my clarion unit out of the car so if I see anything useful I'll post. Also - I think you need those little pin things to allow you to pull the unit out too.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
welcome to the board bill..
it sounds like an intermittent wiring problem..
If you have the clarion based saab system with the seperate amp there is wiring that goes from the head unit to under the seat
there is also two power inputs if I remember correctly
I would pull the head unit out and try making and breaking all the connectors ..looking out for discoloured ones

good luck

·
Registered
192 Posts
For a DIY removal pin kit, just find an old wire coat hanger, ideally the thicker wire about 2.5mm diameter, cut off two lengths about 225/9" long and bend each into a square U-shape with equal legs.

The technical bit - shape each of the cut ends with a file like a short flat cone - push into holes on head unit - taking care not to scratch anything - then gently prise/pull the unit out - Voila!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Try the wiring first but most amps have an overload circuit built in. If you notice that it cuts out only when you have the head unit turned up very loud for a few minutes and then it cuts out and then when it comes back on again turn it up a little more and it should shut down again within seconds. If this is the case you have a short circuit anywhere from the head unit wiring to the speakers. I had this twice on 2 9000's when the front speakers moved some much up and down the copper braiding on the cone contecting to the speaker leads touched the metalwork around the car and short circuited.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts