Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saab 9-5 Aero AS3 with satnav.

When you push the >> button on the cd player unit it goes forward one track. If you hold it down it fast forwards the song currently playing like ANY CD player on the entire face of the earth.

when you do it on the steering wheel and hold it down it fast forwards through the tracks and not the single song that is playing.

Saab said that this was for a safety reason ?!!! so you dont have an accident !!

Well if it was for that case then if you held it down it should not do anything - as wots the difference between holding it down to FF a single track or holding it down to FF through all the tracks?!

The buttons on the steering wheel are supposed to replicate the buttons on the radio. what if you are listenning to a recording that you want to skim through - the only way you can do it is to extend your arm and hold out onto the main head unit - HOW UNSAFE IS THAT WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING!!!!

Do you think there is anyway the steering buttons can be changed to work as normal ?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris:
[qb]Saab 9-5 Aero AS3 with satnav.

When you push the >> button on the cd player unit it goes forward one track. If you hold it down it fast forwards the song currently playing like ANY CD player on the entire face of the earth.
[/qb][/b]
It works exactly as you describe for my Saab 9-3 with AS3 and steering wheel audio controls - no problem and just as I would expect.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Polaris-
the buttons on the steering wheels are additional to the stereo controls? I see them as being there so that for the most common interaction with the stereo, you have controls at your convenience ? Not having read a 9-5 manual, the buttons work as i would expect them to.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you don't want to hear that track why do you not just push the buttom once and play the next track?
What is the use of hi-light scan in a car .

Music is to give you an excuse to sing to yourself in traffic jambs.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The operation of the << >> button on the head unit is programmable, isn't it (it can either be next/prev track, or fast forward/rewind) ?

Maybe the steering wheel control just follows what you've got set on the head unit.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really ?!! how do you change it ?

Originally posted by TW (9-5 Hirsch):
[qb]The operation of the << >> button on the head unit is programmable, isn't it (it can either be next/prev track, or fast forward/rewind) ?

Maybe the steering wheel control just follows what you've got set on the head unit. [/qb][/b]

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that the 2004 AS3 with Sat NAv ?!!! <hope?>

Originally posted by Leon [9-5 stg2]:
[qb] I tried holding the forward button on the steering wheel, and it did indeed fast forward the track rather than skip to next track.
No idea why they changed they way it works    [/qb][/b]

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NOPE - I tried that - To be quite honest - if you hold your finger on the steering wheel FF button it shoots through the tracks SO FAST it is just impossible to stop it on any particular track so there is no bloody point in having it work like that anyway! So what is the point !!?

Why can't it just work like any other normal CD player on the whole planet!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Originally posted by Leon [9-5 stg2]:
[qb] And it doesn't appear a programmable option, I'm afraid I'll have to say, ask your dealer, sorry  
 [/qb][/b]
It is programmable (but not via tech2), it's explained in the manual.

If you press the middle part of the button, it toggles the default operation between "next/prev track" and "ff/rewind". I've got mine set to "next/prev".

Trevor

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you press the middle part of the button, it toggles the default operation between next/prev track and ff/rewind. I've got mine set to next/prev.

TREVOR - Middle of what BUTTON ?
PLEASE - WHERE IN THE MANUAL ?

DO YOU HAVE SAT NAV TOO ...?? I AM HOPING YOU DO - AND IF YOU DO .... I MIGHT KISS YOU !!!

I have looked everywhere - maybe I missed it - but when I called Saab they told me it was purposely done like that as a safety feature to stop accidents !! I asked if it was a programmable feature with the Saab tool.

ALSO - my TP cancel button did not work for like 2 months - and then suddenly that did !! There maybe a way of toggling that on and off as well?..

But my Satnav also failed from new - then 3 weeks later it just started - the day before they were going to replace it !!

But I swapped it anyway - sounds like I have a friday afternoon car ....

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Can't say I have much need to FFwd a track so have never given it much thought. It's not something I would want to do while driving at any speed & if stationary, I tend to use the dash buttons anyway. My 2p...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts