Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!!!
A few weeks ago my 07 9-3 convertible with 54k started showing steering lock malfunction. I suspected a low battery so charged it up, only 2 years old but I only do short trips these days (currently unemployed). The other day it started saying key not recognised and either refusing to start or thinking the key was still in after I had removed it. I called the AA and they couldnt figure it out. Even their diagnostic comp would not connect. Put a new battery in and no change. Put my battery back in and off she went again! However, it still thought the key was in so had to turn off the radio and lock the car manually - a pain in the posteria considering the key only locks the passenger door! Anyhow, this morning went to go out and the key would not even turn. No lights, nothing at all. Normal key has a new battery and the spare key dosnt work either.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Change your ISM (ignition switch module) or remove strip and clean.
Plenty of tutorials on the forums.
http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=189614
In the absence of thorough Tech2 diagnostics thats the easiest and cheap DIY to try.
You could have wiring issues,bad steering lock or CIM module itself but a lot of problems are due to
crud build up in the ISM due to location.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-Saab-9-3-2004-Ignition-Switch-Module-ISM-Used-Tested-Working-Fits-03-12/293364922341?hash=item444de977e5:g:73QAAOSwAN9diJhT
Key fob battery has nothing to do with the ISM...it powers the remote lock/unlock function however if you do replace
the battery then the key has to be resynched by placing in the ISM.

·
Super Moderator
2,946 Posts
I had the same with mine and it was as CJA says the ISM .
The toggle that pushes down when inserting the key was sticky , suppose at some point someone may of spilt some sticky type drink down on it , due to location of drink holder behind it .removed and replaced with a good used example ( if you are going to replace it make sure key is not in the ism , disconnect battery , replace reconnect battery , then place each fob in ism for 10 seconds start car and re-sync pinch control on front windows )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts