Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

does anyone drive with the steering rack brace kit for a GM900? What's best....the original from abbott or do it yourself.

What's the result of installing it? Sounds good to me but I need some people who drive with this thing.

Does anybody know where to get an b234 turbo engine? I'm searching a few parts for this engine!

Thanks already,

Sander

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have a steering rack brace. I bought mine from Abbott since it was their idea ariginally and believe they should get the business, even if they are more expensive. Anyways, I have had it for about amonth now and I am very happy with the increased precision of the steering. Reduction in torque steer and better control under breaking are its benefits.

As for getting parts for your engine, I am sure we'll need more information as to what you are looking for or need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eric, This is information I really need, I think too that abbott must have the business. When I took a look under the hood while my father was turning the steering wheel......I was very surprised to see the movement of the steering housing.........
Does anyone has pictures of the steering rack brace kit? I mean installed in the car?

I'm searching for two (in swedisch: KOLVAR) (i don't know the name in Englisch...how bad!

Thanks very much eric

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by sanderviggen:
[qb]Hello,

does anyone drive with the steering rack brace kit for a GM900? What's best....the original from abbott or do it yourself.

What's the result of installing it? Sounds good to me but I need some people who drive with this thing.

Sander [/qb][/b]
I had the full Abbott VKR fitted so I cannot comment on the steering rack clamp alone. Overall though I have much more precise cornering and much much less torque steer on my convertible. I believe the Abbott 2003 web site has a good photo of the clamp kit, but I cannot access the site from home; I get the 2002 site!! From work I get the 2003 site???

Bob.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Here are some Pictures of the kit installed in Eric's car.

Pictures are Found on the Dutch Saabforum. And taken on the Nurburgring.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The steering brace is actually preyy simple to do. All that needs to be done is remove the stock bolts and with the clamp and the rubber clamp. The Abbott stuff goes in its place. The only hard part is getting the hole in the wheel arch to 8mm from 6mm. There is no room in the engine bay for a drill and coming from the wheel arch, the spring is in the way. I was able to drill at a slight angle from the spring's side and eventually got everything to line up. The hard part, due to the tight clearances of the kit is lining up and starting the bolts and nuts. Overall though, I only spent a little over two hours to install it. I am not exactly a caar genius, but I am a aircraft mechanic and therefore have delt with stuff like this quite a bit. I do think the average DIY guy can handle it though.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I read somewhere recently that some of these Abbott rack braces have had to be removed because the bulkheads are cracking where they attach. Can't verify this as I can't remember where I saw it. I would suggest that if you get it fitted, make a regular check that this isn't happening to yours.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Originally posted by MikeLoadsaSaabs:
[qb]I read somewhere recently that some of these Abbott rack braces have had to be removed because the bulkheads are cracking where they attach.  Can't verify this as I can't remember where I saw it.  I would suggest that if you get it fitted, make a regular check that this isn't happening to yours. [/qb][/b]
This problem isn't confined to Abbott-braced cars, standard 900s & 9-3s are having the same problem. From what I heard it's all down to metal fatigue caused by the movement the brace is designed to stop

1 - 12 of 12 Posts