Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just exactly that, whether the car's warm/not, there's no smell of coolant.
It seems to inside ok too, the s/roof doesn't seal right.
Someone said that's the cause, Iv'e got my doubt's, I have the acc on "econ". And I think the a/c itself probably need's charged/fixed.

This is a pita of a problem, I can bearly see where I'm going when out, constantly wiping the window's I can reach.

It's ok, Iv'e done a search and will look at them.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hi Axl,

Air con cuts off at 4C external air temp to stop condenced water freezing on cooler, and braking it.

If outside temps around 4C in Scottlyland, then this coudl be the cause. Often happens if outside air is damp, and especially if aircon has been running then trips off due to a drop in air temp.

Common problem in late autumn and spring when weather transitions 4C - like it has of late with the fluctuating mild/cold temps in old Blighty.

Hope that's it!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I couldn't tell whether you wanted a response or not:

It's ok, Iv'e done a search and will look at them.[/b]
but here's my contribution regardless - you won't get any dehumidifying effect from your climate control unless the compressor is working, and you state that you have the sysem set to 'econ' - that means 'no-compressor'!

Try it on 'auto' before worrying about possible expensive fixes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
also check air recirculation flap motor. I had one fail in recirc position and it just kept recirculating stale air, which gets increasingly damp from our breath. With ignition on, no engine and fan turned off, you should hear the recirc motor operate for a few seconds every time you press the recirc switch

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree - you need to set the system to "Auto" and go for a good drive on a day when the temperature is above 4 or 5 degrees, before you condemn the mechanicals.

I had a similar problem before Christmas when weather conditions were very cold but also damp. The cold temperature caused the compressor to cut out and the damp air made my windows steam up terribly.

I also notice that – on my car - the compressor doesn’t always seem to cut back in immediately, once the indicated air temperature has risen to above 4 degrees. It seems as if it often takes a dramatic rise in temp before it all starts dehumidifying correctly….. then again, I might me imagining it….

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea but when put it on "auto" does it not use mor fuel then normal, maybe not!.

I did have the heat turned up today to between 78-HI (had the blower low mind you) and after a few min's it cleared all the windows apart from the back drivers side .

Btw......This is embarasing having my name 3 in a row

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ stereo types....

I allways thought it used quite a bit more fuel, obviously I'm wrong, oh well!

@ Steamy win......

Yea again I know what you mean, I dont mind having wipe them, I just wish I could get it fixed thats all.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Fact of life, during the winter when it is wet, if you do not use your air con you will get steamed up windows, ether use a little more petrol or have windows you cant see out of, the choice is yours.
I get more use out of my air con in the winter than during the summer.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Increased fuel consumption with Air-Con on (i.e. hit "Auto" button), only incurs 2 or 3 mpg penalty.

Most drivers loose more than this due to driving style (hard-ish acceleration, not using optimum gears, etc). In fact, mpg can drop significantly more if tyre air pressure is too low!

At least with Saabs, that have instantaneous fuel ecconomy feature, we learn what 'economical driving' really means!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh well, I'll put it on "auto" and see how thing's go, cheers.

Then again that'll be me down to about 20ish to the gall, but yes I s'pose I can see where I'm going thats what counts.

Then again why should you have to do that, my Cav has a/c and doesn't steam up anything like the Saab, And I dont have to it on.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Originally posted by Axl:
[qb]I'll put it on "auto" and see how thing's go...
Then again why should you have to do that, my Cav has a/c and doesn't steam up anything like the Saab, And I dont have to it on. [/qb][/b]
My previous two 9000's had A/C but the manual type. I only turned on the A/C for a few hot days in the summer. They only ever steamed up when the matrix's had a leak (both cars needed doing whilst I owned them) or if you got in with very wet clothes on.
My current Aero has climate (I leave it on Auto) and it has never steamed up except slightly when the matrix went. The smell was almost undetectable and the matrix was barely leaking but it caused steaming all the same.
Are you sure your matrix is OK?
Nick.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
An alternative which I did before I had air con is to open drivers window about 1/2 inch which should help prevent misting up. Also stops you becoming drowsy if there is too much heat in the car. Combination of heat and ventilation is clasic way to prevent condensation. I hadn't realised air con stopped working below 4 degrees.

Mike

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
It's an auto so I dont have any choice to "optimum" gearing.  [/b]
Axl,
My 2L ECO is also an auto-box, and I get around 28MPG in the winter, mainly running on good 'A' roads with 60mph limits.

Driving with a heavy right foot will still reduce your MPG. If you have the Electronic Computer Display, set it to 'Instantaneous MPG' and watch how your fuel economy drops depending on how hard you accellerate (i.e. use of throttle) and also cruising speed. It was quite an education for me when I got my first Saab (which had the LED type bar graph readout for instantaneous MPG).

I concur with Nick/others that it sounds like you have a Heater Matrix leak. I never get steamed up windows with ACC 'off' unless ACC has just turned off, or there is water in the car (e.g. due to wet coats/boots, etc).

HTH's.,
Paul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.