Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saab 9k CSi (1990) - I thought I had a duff starter as it seemd to jam a few weeks back, and freed up when tapped. So I had a new one put in - but the same problem arose afterwards - which is that after a run to "hot", if I stop and turn off the ignition, it won't turn over on starting again, even a few minutes later. Full electrics are there, so no battery problems, just no response at all from the ignition - it doesn't even "click" or attempt to start. A friend fitted a bypass cable coming direct from the new starter motor and if touched to the battery terminal the starter fires up OK - so it's not the starter motor...... the fault is random and unpredictable.

Someone said "inhibitor switch".... what is this, could it be the cause of the problem, is it easy/cheap to repair ?

Thanks for any info you can offer.....

·
Registered
188 Posts
IF your car is automatic it will have an ihibitor switch, this prevents the car being started in drive or reverse, it will only start in park or neutral, this could be the fault, if your car is manual it won't have an inhibitor switch, the more likley cause is the ignition switch its not unknown for the 9000 ignition switch to give problems.(the new 900 has a simular ignition switch these fail too)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I had a similar prob with my 9000 2.3 Turbo CSE, which showed all the signs of being a solenoid affected by heat, i.e. hot engine, then symptoms as you describe.

However, a friend had a similar prob. with his BMW, which turned out to be a faulty inhibitor with reference to the alarm system. Do you get the symptoms with the alarm switched (or locked) off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like a solenoid problem on the starter motor, not the motor itself..

Had a similar problem on a non saab a few years back.

Would start if the solenoid was tapped with a spanner..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't give enough info did I ?!!

Yes , the car is an auto, so the inhibitor switch problem sounds fairly probable ? The fault generally occurs when the car engine is hot, although once it was fine when parked, hot, then wouldn't start the next morning when cold.

I was told to try running the gear selector up and down its range a few times to see if it frees the "stuck" inhibitor, but that has never worked.

If it is the inhibitor switch, is this a big/expensive repair ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and the problem can occur when the alrm is not set (i.e. when just parked for a few minutes) but has also occurred after setting alarm and leaving overnight........

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Replacing the inhibitor switch is an easy an inexpensive job to do. I have had to do this in the past, although not on a Saab. You may get a clue if this is the problem, for I believe the reversing lights are activated by the self same switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can I restart the "Inhibitor Switch" question?
I have a 1992 Saab 9000CSE automatic with 102,000 miles on the clock. For some years, originally intermittently but now much more frequently,I have had a problem with not starting but needless to say, it won't do it when it is in the garage.
The car “thinks” it is in gear and the solution is to move the gear stick over the range until either Neutral or Park releases the switch. But this can take some minutes. It happens mostly when it is hot and can be very embarrassing and potentially dangerous.

It has got worse over time. The first occurrence was in 1994 when the car was 1 year old. For a long time it happened irregularly with no pattern. Recently it has become much more frequent and on one day this month it did it 5 times in the day which is unheard of previously.

The various possible causes I have been given are:

a) the onboard computer &/or the inhibitor switch (non-SAAB garage);
B) oil on the terminal connecting the starter motor reducing conductivity (AA engineer);
c) a slight oil leak from the exhaust manifold affecting the connection with the starter motor (Friar’s of Ipswich, SAAB garage who say they know of no problems with SAAB inhibitor switches)

The car has a brand new battery – 2 months old and is charging OK.

Any other suggestions? I don't want the garage wasting its time and my money on wild goose chases!Lissadel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.