Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9000 CSE 2.0 lpt 1997 with 155.000 km and just an new fuelfilter. I hope somebody can help me fix the following starting problem. When starting with a lower fueltank (less than halffilled)the startmotor makes normal noise but will not start running. Seems (sounds?) like there is not enough fuel. After a while 20 - 30 seconds trying (sometimes more)it starts to run normally.

Fuelfilter has recently been renewed. But it didn't fix the problem. Saab dealer knew this probem but didn't come with a better solution than fill the fueltank sooner...

does it ring any bell?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome to saabscene Hobbelaar

Are you sure the starting problem is fuel level related ?

I've had starting problems before in connection with the IAC valve sticking, and with Direct Ignition cartridge failure. The starter solenoid/relay can also be a problem, but none of these should be fuel level related.

David

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Could it be a problem with the fuel pump? My 97 LPT had a new fuel pump fitted before I bought it in March last year as it was very noisy and there had been problems with it when the tank was getting empty.

Steve

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
i have a problem like this, dont know if it is linked to the tank or not but i have been told that it is the solenoid not the iac which i had cleaned anyway, i have been told to take off the starter and solenoid clean all the contacts regrease and make sure all the conections a clean, the car seams to tur over ok but the starter is not engaging prop, the car does start but only every 2nd or 3rd try. i am going to try this fix on my next day off, 1 point i dont know is there a relay that could be sticking?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Not sure if it aplies to 9000's too, but 900's have a pre pump in the tank to prime the main tank pump.

This is prone to failure, and when the tank gets down can cause starting problems due to low fuel pressure.

Andrew.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
yes there is another pump which acts as a suction reservoir that feeds the pump a supply of air or bubble free fuel and the main pump pulls the fuel through from this then on to the filter but since they both get the fuel from the one pick up it would not make any diff i dont think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts