Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me out on this one?
Ik have problems starting my 1992 9000 CSE 16 Turbo automatic when the engine is hot (after a good hour drive). Cold starts are no problem at all. At warm starts it does nothing, the only action is a light click (no startengine sounds or whatever). The battery is brand new, and the electrical system seems to be working fine (ACC, lights, radio). The boardcomputer shows the battery on normal voltage (so does the indicator light on the battery itself). After half an hour waiting for the engine to cool off, it starts perfectly. Fortunately, but it is a drag when pumping gas, and you have to wait for half an hour..
Anyone, please?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi PeeWee and welcome to Saabscene.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

From what you say it sounds like the starter motor solenoid is failing to engage. Either it is faulty or the circuit supplying it.

If you can get hold of a copy of the starter circuit wiring diagram from a Haynes manual that will help you in the diagnosis.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark for the welcoming words and your opinion. I'll check Haynes, but maybe there are some SAABers out there who have dealt with this problem themselves and are willing to share their experiences.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
If yours is '92 then it will have a version of the Bosch LH Jetronic system: right? Check all your small bore vacuum hose. A hole which isn't evident when cold will expand when warm, let in unmetered air and play havoc with warm starts. If your hose looks tired, there is probably a hole or crack somewhere.

Next culprit could be your temperature sensor. The fuelling is worked out on engine temperature, if the ECU thinks the engine is colder than it is it will over fuel. Likewise if your Auxillary Air Valve is faulty/ damaged it will be letting through either too much or too little air for the mix (probably too much).

Other thing is to get the fuel system pressure checked as you may have a faulty regulator which is failing to maintain residual pressure.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
My wife drove an old Mercedes that did this. The starter motor needed stripping and cleaning. It was full of light oily coppery swarf because the brushes had worn down and scored the commutator. I think that when warm the oily grease melted and let the copper bits join up and short out the circuits. A good clean, plus new brushes and all was well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts