Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am about to attempt to start my '91 9000i after a layup of about a year!

Is there anything specific I need to look for before/Whilst I try to get the 'flying sofa' running?

Also I seem to remember that the clutch felt like it needed re-adjusting as occasionally getting gear was problematic. I have had a look but can't see if there's any way of adjusting the hydraulic unit either at the cylinder or at the gearbox. Help??

·
Registered
763 Posts
Wash and polish, it raises the morale! Just make sure the battery is juiced up and turn the key...let it splutter and it will pick up normal idle and then you can head for the nearest Shell to fill with Optimax, then proceed to the nearest clear straight stretch of road to really open up and clear those mechanical cob-webs which have been building up while off-road!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha ha! It started first time on the jump leads!!!

However the battery's goosed! Not surprising seeing as it's been dead for a year!

So just sort a new battery and head for the MOT station! (just hope the calipers are OK as the last MOT showed siezed rear which cost £500!!!)

Oh and need to sort the clutch as the biting point's right at the bottom, in the floor. Any ideas??

Keep the old fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Although this advice is now too late, you should lubricate the cylinder bores before starting. Do this by squirting some oil through the spark plug holes. In fact it is even better practice to turn the engine over without plugs to generate some oil pressure without the load of cylinder compression.

MR

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys, thanks for the advice!

Brakes seem OK, have been driving it round the car-park grinding the rust of the discs and stops OK-ish (will probably need some higher speed stops to sort fully)

Now Just the Clutch problem to solve, how do i adjust the clutch's biting point/ bleed the cylinders?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by mutungi:
[qb]Wash and polish, it raises the morale!    [/qb][/b]
Mutungi, you're right, was going to give it a quick wash just to get the dirt and green stuff off, however beeing navy the water just evaporated and made it look worse! So a full wash and polish with "Blue" polish and hey presto, the flying sofa's looking good!

If any-one has any ideas/ hints re the clutch adjustment can you post them here and e-mail them to me? [email protected] (yes I am into old V-Dubs! )

·
Registered
763 Posts
Unfortunately...the only clutch adjustment for the SAAB involves the adjustment to the thick wad of paper you store in the leather wallet in your hip pocket .....yes, get a new clutch fitted to end your woes! Or get it checked by some proper mechanic.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
When you say you can't get the clutch "right",I take it you have a bleed nipple on the box.My 9000 turbo had the same problem,all free play and hadrly any bite,it had to pressure bleed it via one of the tyre's (usualy one of the front).
What I guy did (cause I hadn't seen anything like this before) was use this thing called Easy bleed two small hoses one which connects the same as blowing up you tyre,the other and of that goes into a empty bottle near the clutch resovior,the other hose goes (which they give you a variety of lid's)on to the top of the clutch bottle (res).
He just released some air from tyre and within second's (and I do mean second's) the clutch was fixed,and my "bite" was about between half way/three quarter from the floor.
He took a tenner for doing it,but like I say I hadn't heard of it before.
I know it's alot of explaining for such a simple procedure but that's the way it goes,so I hope that kinda help's .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok will have a go at the pressure bleed option. One question, where is the bleed nipple on the gearbox?

Sorry for being thick but I'm used to 'easy' mechanics like clutch cables you can adjust

Oh and engines held in with four bolts that you can drop almost single-handedly, carburettors, rotor arms, points, no radiators/ water jackets........you get the picture.

Bought the Sofa as a parts hauler/ winter car so I didn't have to drive my '64 Split screen Pick up everywhere!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Stand at the front looking in,look down past the air flow meter hose,it's more/less right under it on the top or the box.
Or go to the right side of the cylinder block at the bottom and move out to the right about 2/3 inch's and there it is,well there should be a cover on it take that off.
The guy who did mine made it look easy,but bear in mind I haven't done this myself,I watched him do it,but have a go what have you got to loose,cause the way your talking the clutch "bite" is nackered anyway,good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts