Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At present I have a standard aero with some poly bushes(wishbone/antiroll bar all round). I am looking to go the full hog with the stage 3 tune package and brakes and uprated suspension to suit. I was wondering what the drive will be like will it make it a better car, i do get rather p****d off with the characteristics of the front wheel drive system wheel spin and torque steer. I have been used to rear wheel drive/4 wheel drive/mid engined cars in the passed. P.S. if anybody lives in Linc/Notts with a tuned car and is willing to give me a ride I would be most grateful so I can make my mind up. Many thanks.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I think you'll find a plethora of people here who have gone that route (seems to be the thing to do on Aero's while non aeros seem to go more stg1 or 2).

As for power, here my stg3 plot against stg0

As to the ride, the springs are stiffer andlower but not in my opinion overly harsh. it can be tempered by adjusting the front shocks for daya to day driving.

Brakes, I've gone for brembo disks and ds2500 pads and they work well enough.

Finally, i've just gone to 17" wheels, while I don't think that there is any more ultimate grip, they do turn in quicker. I need to get to a track to test final grip levels though.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
to tame the torque steer and the understeer there is a few mods which will improve things dramatically

change rear a/r bush to poly ..it will turn in much better
rear ,front wishbone bush to poly

top engine mounts one or both to poly
and finally the bottom gearbox mount to poly

this will transform the basic characteristics

next step is getting expensive
first I would go for an lsd which transforms the handling and eliminates a lot of the front wheel drive maladies
gives you twice the traction and with good tyres you need over 300 hp to unstick them
Koni adjustable shocks back and front
Uprate the rear a/r bar to a 1" jobbie ..this makes the car oversteer!!

You can poly the rest of the bushes but the results are pretty marginal and some find them harsh (I do not )

The car is pretty sensitive to tyre choice and you can go up to a 235 section on a 17 " tyre
tyres which work with this car are
toyo proxes t1 r's or s's
goodyear F1 gsd3's
brigstone SO3's

tuning
for stage 3 there are may reputable companies out there
principally Speedparts and Maptun
choice ?

difficult one
maptun I believe is a little more expensive
but you can "trade up"
from personal experience maptun is very knowledgable (and nice guys !!)

good luck

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]change rear a/r bush to poly ..it will turn in much better[/qb][/b]
Or in Gavin's case, revert the front A/R bar bushes to rubber. Poly ones there create understeer and negate the nice turn-in the rear ones alone will give.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice I was looking to put the next round of money on Shock/springs and uprated anti-roll bar. Adding the front poly a/r bushes did add the understeer back but with the next modds hopefully will make the car corner more flat. I will need to change tyres soon would like to know how long on average tyres last (mine at present around 12k cheap marshall type)with the extra peformance(and not driving flat out all the time)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I'd do the front strut brace too.

These mods make a huge difference to handling, but remember it will still be a FWD car with loads of power in a relatively old chassis, so don't expect miracles. Especially if you are used to good handling RWD and mid engined cars.

Having said that, there are few cars that can match the combination of perfomance, comfort, practicality, reliability and cost.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The rear ARB upgrade makes quite a big difference; my personal recommendation is stick to rubber ARB mounts on the front with the rear ARB upgrade (incl poly). This gives a great balance for a FWD car but do be aware it can oversteer more easily on lift off. That's the payoff for much better turn in and cornering.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I have been spoilt in the past with my other cars. But for cost practical safe reliable Q car appeal the Saab has to be the best. I need a fast hatch/estate as I have 2 large dogs. Have though about 95 aero estate/Merc AMG55. But concluded that the 9000 Aero was more bang for bucks plus love the seats. I am looking at the uprated rear anti rollbar kit. I thought about the Abbott piggy back type. I have thought about making my own with a 2nd hand roll bar and some brackets that I can fabricate. Any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
 I have thought about making my own with a 2nd hand roll bar and some brackets that I can fabricate. Any thoughts on this.  [/b]
Go for it ..

If it does not work all you have wasted is a little time

if it works you have saved enough to buy 2 new tyres !!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Although, what will you do re getting poly bushes to fit as the likes of SAS have them made to fit the 25mm ARB. Also, it comes with strengthening plates that fit inside the car.

Best bet if you want to DIY might be to try a piggy back job, but is it really worth the effort as they aren't exactly expensive?

I have messed around with poly bushes quite a lot and certainly agree with the others. Although, I removed my gearbox bush as it was causing extra harshness. I'm currently really happy with my setup, which is Abbott LSD, Speedparts strut brace, Abbott front wishbone bushes, rear SAS ARB and one poly top engine mount.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I've the SAS ones and they are very sturdy and come with all tne bits and plates etc.

I also see that the Abbott Racing Rear ARB add on bar is currently reduced on their site too.

Andrew

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am making a piggy back roll bar like the one that Abbott sells. Using a 2nd hand roll bar and some brackets which are similar to the abbott ones. Cost will be very small(I don't like paying over the odds for things,tight northerner originally) and I have the equipment to make the brackets. I get bored on these dark winters nights so don't mind spending time on these things. If anyone lives around Lincs/Notts/Cambs with a modded Aero would like a ride to compare how different it is over standard. I don't want to start spending if the car doesn't transform with the power/suspension/brakes upgrades.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts