Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

My father owns a '87 9000 T16, and i was wondering if it is normal that they stall easily when you try a "take off" from idle?

When the engine is cold it's not a problem but when it is hot is stalls very easily.

His previous car was an old 99 with a 8 valve carburettor engine, and it pulled easily from idle.

It's not a big deal when you get used to it, but it really annoys me.

Is there something wrong with the injection system, and if not is there a chip or something available to stop it from stalling so easily?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I agree with Bill, the car is sucking in air which has not been measured by the air mass meter (just after the air filter).
The computer does not know about this extra, unmeasured air and so does not compensate with more fuel The engine then gets too lean a mixture and stalls. The "OK when cold" symptom would point to a hose, hard when cold, soft when hot, thus allowing a small split to open and suck air. Check, or even better replace, all vacuum hoses and their connections.
It sounds like you are looking for a thin split rather than a gaping hole, so you'll have to be very careful when you check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.