Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just discovered a nice hole in the centre box of my CSE exhaust sys. Local exhaust fitting outfit wants £121 to replace it in mild steel.
Long Life Exhausts quote £329 inclusive, for a complete made to measure SS system (304 stainless) from the CAT back with lifetime warranty, which sounds reasonable to me. Anyone used Long Life, any comments will be useful?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Dave,

I've not used Long Life myself, but I can offer some useful comments (maybe?) about stainless exhausts...

They should be 304 grade, not 409, which can rust.

Is the entire system stainless, not just the outer? Very often the silencer internals can be of lower grade, so whilst the rest of it is still going strong, you've got to replace it because that bit is shot.

There can sometimes be a problem with fittings/tolerances but as it's a made to measure, that shouldn't be a worry.

Apart from lasting longer due to less corrosion, a replacment SS system of equal dimensions will also help power because as the inside of the tube doesn't corrode, it stays smooth and thus helps air flow.

So now all it needs is for someone to tell you if Long Life are any good! (I'm sure I've seen others on here talk about them...)

Mark

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Dave,

I had a hand made cat back system from Longlife fitted to my 98 Anniversary 1.5 years ago, by the Cardiff franchise, and am very pleased with it.
Also the fitting service was excellent.

They will show you all the build options, and samples of demo boxes, etc. They omit one of the two baffle boxes to help improve free flow, but it neither improved performance or increased noise levels, which is fine. (The CAT being the main restriction on the Saab exhaust system of course).

I paid £255 at that time, which was extremely competitive, and included a free courtesy car and fuel (although I paid for what I used).

No problem withh rattle or ill fitting, which must be a very rare problem as the guys are enthusiasts and fit the replacement unit to the bodywork channeling very closely. They will normally show you the finished item, fitted, whilst car on ramps, so you can be impressed with their handywork!

Any problems, and they will fix it with the lifetime guarantee.

Terms and Conditions re Guarantee are not provided unless you ask for a set, so make sure you do for your reference.

I'd recommend it if you want to keep the car, but don't expect to see any improvement in fuel economy or performance unless you have a CAT bypass pipe fitted instead. OK on pre-93(ish) cars, otherwise an MOT failure!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Paul D:
[qb]...unless you have a CAT bypass pipe fitted instead.  OK on pre-93(ish) cars, otherwise an MOT failure![/qb][/b]
But shurely we all make sure all our exhaust components are correctly fitted and in good working order before presenting for MOT (just like all the other bits of the car)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info. guys, they offered me a free courtesy car & the made to measure aspect is very attractive having seen some local cowboys trying to get a pre-made exhaust to fit with a precision 5lb. hammer. (not on my car)

So it looks as if it will be a day out in sunny ... Avon? (ne Gloucestershire)
Dave

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
OK on pre-93(ish) cars, otherwise an MOT failure![/b]
Thought this was a myth? It is just that there are stricter emissions standards, and a cat is an easy way to ensure car meets them. Post-92 Car without a cat will pass MoT provided emissions are within legislated levels.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb] QUOTE
OK on pre-93(ish) cars, otherwise an MOT failure![/b]
Thought this was a myth?[/qb][/b][/quote]Yes your right /john it is a myth,if a car fails the CAT test the tester has to give the vehicle a standard emisssions test and if it passes the standard test a fail cannot be issued,so even if a Catalytic converter is not present it's not an automatic fail.
I'm sure Leon/Neil will explain in more detail if I've not explained it right

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Yes your right /john it is a myth,if a car fails the CAT test the tester has to give the vehicle a standard emisssions test and if it passes the standard test a fail cannot be issued,so even if a Catalytic converter is not present it's not an automatic fail.
I'm sure Leon/Neil will explain in more detail if I've not explained it right  [/b]
Not quite Saabman...
post 92 petrol cars require a Basic Emissions Test... a test designed to speed up the emissions prcedure.. The VI give a standard set of figures, if the car passes those (90% will) then no worries... if not the car will then require a CAT test, which is where a bit of a grey area comes about... if the car is pre 95.. the tester can claim not to be able to identify the engine and run onto the old 2 gas test...
However post 95's must have a CAT test at this point, if you don't pass this, then its a fail full stop!

Now if your on LPG, and the vehicle is presented as such... then all above does not apply, your on 2 gas test.. easy peasy!

Diesels, just the smoke test to pass...

So to all with post 92 cars and no cats running on petrol.. you need a nice and friendly MOT tester... Also handy if he happens to be a saab entusiast and owner

But you are right about one point Saabman... just cos you've taken the cat off, that in itself is not a reason for rejection, if it passes the criteria above, no worries

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I completely agree with Leon on this, basically 'N' plate on must pass a BET or Cat test, 'K' to 'M' can have either a cat test or, if the engine cannot be identified, a standard gas test, and 'J' or earlier have a standard gas test.

Neil

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Interesting data & debate..

Ian,
That's interesting, although I guess there are always exceptions to the rule!

Turbos generally emit less than non-turbo cars, so could be expected to produce lower emissions even without functional CAT.

However, I know of a number 'young' cars which failed MOT emissions tests due to broken CAT back in 1998 (e.g. Ren*ult Meg*ne = very fragile CAT. etc). If these cars (with low milage and years) would have passed MOT without CAT then the owners would not have paid £600 for a new one!

Hence, for the lower emission limits permitted post 95 (per Leon's info), having a functional CAT is synonymous with passing the MOT for 'most' cars.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
My 93 2.3T fails at the usual test station if it doesn't have a cat...

Paul, I think you'll find that the lower emissions for turbo engines is true under load, not at idle. This is because for a given output, a turbo engine can be smaller than a non-turbo and hence have lower internal losses from pumping and friction etc. I'd be interested to understand if/how an engine of fixed displacement could achieve lower emissions for the MOT test by fitting a turbo.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
(e.g. Ren*ult Meg*ne = very fragile CAT. etc). If these cars (with low milage and years) would have passed MOT without CAT then the owners would not have paid £600 for a new one!  [/b]
I dunno what it is..
But French cars are an absolute P.I.T.A to get through first time on Basic emmissions test alone...
Like I've said before, the car cannot be failed for simply missing a cat! Its the lambda probe that is the critical part in emissions control, the cat simply cleans up the rest..
When I get a minute, i'll get 2 saabs side by side, same models, engine, one with cat one without.. see what results I get...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks Saabman. Exhaust OK! at the moment,but, to have all these recomendations saved on a floppy for a ref' for later use is mighty handy. If I do use Permazaust it'll give me a chance to come up and see you ( there's a song in there somewhere)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.