Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a complete stainless exhaust (single box) fitted to my '90 CD Carlsson for £300. Noise level is still low, garage wanted to fit two boxes otherwise they said it would be loud but it isnt. I'm really happy with it and would recomend the place to anyone (its in Blackpool).

Also tried a Dawes MBC valve in-line with the APC BCV - Wow what a difference, car really flies!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I had a single box (instead of the std 2) on a "Longlife" stainless exhaust, and also didn't notice any noise increase - or BHP improvement for that matter! CAT really limits the benefit of a throu bore exhaust.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The garage is Perma-exhaust part of a HiQ tyre place, look in yellow pages for phone number. I talked to a chap called Steve, just say the bloke with the big black 9000 recommended them.

No cat on my car.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Adrian, Ahh.. no CAT:
What improvement in MPG and performance have you noticed since the stainless pipe was fitted?
Maybe I'll go for a bypass pipe whenever my CAT needs replacing (with considerations for the MOT), if the benefits are significant.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Carlsson is a MY90 which came with a cat hence 185bhp. The same car came without a cat rated at 195bhp. When the cat was shot I replaced it with a mild steel section (£35) which made no noticable difference in noise performance or economy. OK as someone said elsewhere a rolling road may have shown a difference but 5 to 6bhp will not be noticed on the roads. Also remember the cat equipped cars have a different ECU with lambda sensor and different APC/DI unit, to get the full 10bhp difference mentioned above the ECU and APC/DI must also be replaced.

If its performance you are after fit a Dawes device manual boost controller ($35 shipped from the states) - better than a bleed valve. Dial in a few more psi of boost and start flying! See Dawesdevice web-site for usual disclaimers and DYOR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts