Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a 2.0 LPT 9-5.

Considering a Stage 1 upgrade from Elkparts, which will take the power to 220BHP (or is it 215BHP?)

Anyway - I have driven 9-5's in the past which had had an upgrade to about 192BHP and was disappointed about the amount of power (or lack of).

I used to have a 2.3T 9000 Carlsson, where the power delivery was mental, and the car felt very quick. Being around the same power output, would this upgrade give me similar performance to the Carly? I'm not expecting it to be as quick as the Carly, but close to it would be great.

I want it to be a bit quicker off the mark (especially 2nd gear) and mid range for overtaking. I don't want deceptive - I want unsubtle, kick in the butt stuff.

Would I be happy, or better with a 9-5 Aero? Idea is to either get an Aero, or live with my current 9-5 (made a lot easier with the extra 65BHP! )

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you enjoyed the carlsson, I think you'd probably find even a 9-5 Aero a bit tame. Undoubtedly fast, but smooth and electronically manipulated to take the violent edge off it.(and torque limited in first)

I've driven a 9000 2.0FPT rattly chain, zillion-mile old dog as a courtesy car, while my 9-5 Aero was at the garage. I went back to the garage grinning, as the 9000 had more immediate poke on opening the throttle than the Aero and, although it wasn't as fast overall, the old dog FELT quick.

A 9-5 is a big heavy car too (perhaps why it doesn't rattle and shake like a 9000)

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The trend in recent models has been away from the leary kind of stomp your foot on the floor, steady on wait for it, wait for it, oooh, ooomigosh, ooooomigoditsgonnatakeoffffffff!!!
type of response; something to do with conforming to the "norm" I fear

So, I'm afraid that the conversion is not going to be as much "fun" as the Carly , even though the tuning does make the torque a bit mor peaky. . It will, however, still be a quick car. You'll definitely enjoy it, and it's a lot cheaper than an Aero.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Kev,
Depending on the year of your car depends on the BHP offered. 98-00 kicks it up to a reported 215bhp, 01- kicks it up to 220 bhp. The differences are that the earlier models have different fuel injectors. Indeed if you want to go to stage 2/3 with the earlier car you will need to get the larger red injectors.

Stage 1 certainly wont give you AERO performance, you need a stage 3 for that (where BHP, torque and mid range performance stats are almost identical) .
However, if second gear performance is what you want, 2nd gear becomes an absolute hoot. the 40mph to 62 mph sprint in 2nd is great and leaves you with a torque steering smile, just as you hit 5000rmp and think its the end of the cars puff (4k was the end in standard spec), it moves with even more intensity up to 6000+ (You really feel the turbo almost kicking in again with a punch). 3rd gear is a bit flat between 3-4.5 rmp but again absolutely takes off again at 5000rpm by this time you will be seriously breaking the law though.

In summary, slight performance improvements below 4000rpm, absolute delight 4.5krpm to red line. The BSR software is known to be more aggresive than other tuners.

Ive been umming and arrhring over moving to stage 3 for some time now, its still a lot cheaper than buying an Aero considering the depreciation loss of £5k in just over a year Ive had! (then the knock on depreciation loss on the Aero) Plus my car is 'straight', in black, bought with 29k on it and looks lovely.

·
Registered
73 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a boring f**t, what does a stage 1 upgrade do to the fuel consumption, and what's likely to go 'pop' with the extra stresses?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
In many cases, people report an improvement in fuel economy after upgrades- subject to driving style of course!

It suppose it's all part of the "turbo" benefit- it doesn't use fuel when you don't need it.

As for what's likely to go pop, the answer is not a lot
. The transmission is still within design limits at this stage, as is the cooling system etc.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Kev - my Dad's old 9-5 Airflow was a 2.0t with Hirsch 220bhp upgrade and that was pretty quick, even with 4-sp auto. Obviously not as quick as an Aero, but more than adequate.

Mum's old 9-3 2.0T vert with Abbott upgrade was seriously quick but not as well sorted as the Hirsch - cruise control hunted all over the place whereas the 9-5 all worked just like it should.

The 2.0t seems to like to rev a bit when modded, can't remember if yours is 2.0 or 2.3, not sure if the 2.3 makes a noticeable torque difference lower down - if longer stroke rather than wider bore then it ought to...

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just cannot make my mind up on this - swaying towards an Aero at the moment (though I was eyeing up a 2.3 Carly yesterday
)

I'll probably be asking the same question in 5 years time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts