Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

Anyone with ecu upgrade. I would like to know your boost reading.

The boost reading on my car at WOT, max boost goes up to 18-20psi then drop to steady at 16-17psi.

My car info:
9000CS2.0LPT / 1995 /auto box
Maptun stage1 ECU
3"free flow exhaust system without catalytic
uprate wastegate actuator,HKS 0.8bar
boost guage,Auto Meter vac/boost

I use 95octane gasoline. 95octane is the highest octane for thailand.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Sounds well and good. My stock Viggen runs 15.2 psi or so stably if it's cool enough outside. Trails off to 13 psi just before redline.

Looks like you'll be having lots of fun in your car now! Don't get caught.

Cheers,
Dubbya

edit: Just thought I'd throw the stock reading in for comparison. 18 psi sounds really awesome.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a 9000 with MapTun software, 3" exhaust, & KJ intercooler that gets 24.5 psi of boost from 3500-4500 rpms, then tapers down to about 18-19 psi at the red-line - this is with 'normal' temperatures (above 40 F). Lately, it's been rather cold (below freezing) and I've noticed a little more 'juice', but haven't hooked-up my calibrated pressure gauge to quantify it. Let's just say it's

·
Registered
368 Posts
hi pomlpt so u got a auto which u have upgraded hows the gear box takeing it
ive been trying hard to get some info it seems that thay distroy the autobox if above 300nm? look at my topic u see whats going on
lizard

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My Hirsch custom programmed ECU runs 1.15 bar max pressure and then programmed tail off to 0.9 bar by redline. The 1.15 bar sticks around until about 5500 rpm. It is good for about 260 hp with all the other mods on my 1999 9-3 with 2.0 liter angine and T25 turbo.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Originally posted by Eric (9-3 Hirsch):
[qb]My Hirsch custom programmed ECU runs 1.15 bar max pressure and then programmed tail off to 0.9 bar by redline.  The 1.15 bar sticks around until about 5500 rpm.  It is good for about 260 hp with all the other mods on my 1999 9-3 with 2.0 liter angine and T25 turbo. [/qb][/b]
Wow, Eric - 260 hp at 1.15 bar out of a 2.0 ?!? That´s good performance. On Heisel´s Dyno, my 2.3 just made 252 hp, and that was at 1.4 bar. I know your car is very, very strong, but these figures make me doubt at little Hirsch´s correction factor for their Dyno ("to compensate for the altitude").

I think when my engine is completed, we should drive to Heisel in Merzig and have both our cars dynoed there to be able to judge Hirschs results. I would be glad to pay for this ... you have been so much help for me in the past!

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Mine is designed to boost to 1.35 bar and then hold 1.1bar to 6000rpm. Have been testing boost on my car with Leon, today, with a digital boost pressure thingy.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb]Have been testing boost on my car with Leon, today, with a digital boost pressure thingy.    :fawlty:  [/qb][/b]
That's the kind of technical lingo I can relate to John.....

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
One thing you have to remember is that this is after correction to standard atmospheric conditions. Even with the correction, the car will get different readings on different days. the actual measured wheel hp was 200.6 hp at 5650 rpm. The rundown to determine drivetrain loss was 41.4 hp to give a total of 242 hp at the crank. After DIN 70020 correction to standard atmospheric conditions the reading was 260.4 ps. And just for record, St. Gallen sits at 779 meters above sea level. The measured air pressure was 952 mb and the air temp in the dyno cell was 27 degrees C.

As for torque, the peak was 348 Nm at 3730 rpm. The torque curve remains above 330 Nm from about 2800 rpm all the way to 5500 rpm.

The reason I use the corrected number is that is the number the magazines report. So we have to bear in mind that on a different dyno, different numbers will result and the best way to compare numbers is on the same dyno. Otherwise, those dynos with a built in system for figuring this all out are the next best thing as comparisons can be made on the corrected figures.

And just one more thing to add to the information overload I am sending, the base dyno run before that tuning session, which means all the mods but my original Hirsch program, was 328 Nm and 240 hp after correction. That ECU program ran at a max of 0.9 bar boost pressure.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Also, for fear of starting yet another drawn out discussion, but there will be a difference in theory from tuner to tuner on the way to hp numbers. The difference will be in timing, fueling and such and also the general attack to tuning that each company takes. Tons of boost isn't necessarily the way to higher hp numbers. The massive boost most people run will indeed be better for low and mid range torque though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by lizard :
hi pomlpt so u got a auto which u have upgraded hows the gear box takeing it ive been trying hard to get some info it seems that thay distroy the autobox if above 300nm? look at my topic u see whats going on lizard
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi lizard, i have not had any gear box problem yet, probably the upgrade is still way below 300nm .. i do not know how much HP or nm i have now, but it should be ~200+HP. i guess it still within safety limit since maptun program the ecu according to the car specificaiton. My car low end toque is not so great. The power really kick in above 3000rpm.
This may be the characteristic of 2.0liter engine which should be good on the life of my auto box.

pomlpt

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by philip hs:
[qb]Wow, Eric - 260 hp at 1.15 bar out of a 2.0 ?!? That´s good performance. On Heisel´s Dyno, my 2.3 just made 252 hp, and that was at 1.4 bar. I know your car is very, very strong, but these figures make me doubt at little Hirsch´s correction factor for their Dyno ("to compensate for the altitude").

I think when my engine is completed, we should drive to Heisel in Merzig and have both our cars dynoed there to be able to judge Hirschs results. I would be glad to pay for this ... you have been so much help for me in the past!

Yours,

Philip [/qb][/b]
Phillip, you need to remember that 1.4 bar at 3000 is very very different that 1.4 bar at 5500.
I dont believe our viggens with stage III do produce that much of boost at 5500.
I had my car dynoed some time ago, but unfortunately the dyno I used is a slow sweep type. RPM-sweeep takes about 1 min. Due to that my intake temperatures arouse --->knocking detected. So I dont know yet how much boost/ hp I (we) have at 5500.

If enybody is interested here is the tape from the dyno. You can see the boost along with the rpm
Dyno run ~7.5Mb
The graph

Ps. the graph is only valid to about 4500 rpm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts