Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate some advice from those with experience of a stage 4 upgrade, either Maptun or Speedparts.

I currently have a Speedparts stage 3 and am looking to upgrade to stage 4. Thing is with Speedparts you change to a 18T turbo, injectors and mapsensor. My thoughts are that obviously this is good cos I get a new turbo, but are there any negatives to this turbo over the standard one?
If I go the Maptun route its all done via the ecu, injectors, mapsensor and actuator.

Cost is roughly the same as the extra expense of the turbo with Speedparts is balanced by a totally new stage 4 ecu with Maptun as opposed to upgrading my Speedparts stage 3.

And is the fact that I have the Abbott intake pipe which is an extra to the stage 4 going to puzzle the ecu or will it adapt?

So what are the differences in characteristics between the two at this level of tune?

I guess my simple question is; is it worth changing to Maptun or should I stick with Speedparts, both give same power levels and I do not plan to do any further upgrades.

Sorry thats a lot of questions but all advice greatly appreciated,

Andy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why leave out SQR and Nordic? You should look into those tuners as well. If you're set on either Speedparts/BSR or Maptun, my vote is for Maptun, but I've had "problems" with BSR software. Stay safe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When we are talking about B235R, I highly recommend you to upgrade the engine internals as well ( = stage 5 ). Pistons are the weak spot in this construction, and forged ones ( JE for example ) give you some marginal in the long run.

Generally speaking, if you are going to use 'bulk' programs ( I assume this is your case ), your hardware should be identical with that one which was used when that program was constructed. It's impossible to say what modifications can be done or not without changing T7 maps. But, for best results, use IDENTICAL hardware.

And finally, to avoid further problems, stay away from the BSR ( or Speedparts ).

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi,

I would have thought that if you were moving to a larger turbo then you may well have more lag.

From what I have read on here it seems imperative that you stick exactly with the correct components for each upgrade in order to achieve the packages full potential, if not you could well end up with less power than you have presently.

HTH

Andy

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by 95power:
[qb]When we are talking about B235R, I highly recommend you to upgrade the engine internals as well ( = stage 5 ). Pistons are the weak spot in this construction, and forged ones ( JE for example ) give you some marginal in the long run.

Generally speaking, if you are going to use 'bulk' programs ( I assume this is your case ), your hardware should be identical with that one which was used when that program was constructed. It's impossible to say what modifications can be done or not without changing T7 maps. But, for best results, use IDENTICAL hardware.
[/qb][/b]
All quite true, but not really relevant to the original post as Andy has a 9000 Aero......

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Marky:
[qb]I believe that when you change from a different tuner to Maptun, that you get a discount of 50% on the ECU  
 [/qb][/b]
Not when I asked them a few weeks ago. 5% was all they would offer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts