Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've finally fitted my speedparts stage 3 to the aero, I may as well post a few thoughts:
Engine Spec:
2.3 Aero
Speedparts stage 3
Full JT 3" Decat
Custom intake with ITG filter
Heatplate removed.

Well, the words 'doesn't hang about'
spring to mind - I haven't hooked up the boost gauge yet, but on the gauge I'm well off the end of the red zone so from previous measurements I'm up at a about 1.5bar estimated.
Floor it at 50 in 3rd and there a much bigger kick in the back vs. stage1 and it holds the boost hard, right into higher revs. It's then a case of hanging on to something (eg steering wheel) as triple figures appear rapidly. Only the long 5th gear manages to blunt the power a bit now, although it still pulls very strongly there too.
One thing of interest is that I don't know where top power is meant to be on this ECU, so I'm still adhering to the 5.5k red line, which is more than enough at the moment.
I drove the car on an winding A road and to be honest the power now pushes my Abbott/koni setup to the limit and I reckon I could destroy my brakes at will, but my recently fitted rear ARB will add a bit more control to the situation so looking forward to the next test
Outstanding fun though, and I strongly recommend anyone buying stage 3 to do the suspension and brakes first

·
Registered
494 Posts
Outstanding fun though, and I strongly recommend anyone buying stage 3 to do the suspension and brakes first[/b]
i would recommend brakes/suspension before the stage 1 even. sounds like you are enjoying the ride!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Did Stage3 to my 9k Aero this summer and agree the new boost is huge fun, completely upgrades the +50mph acceleration performance. Now able to run with most non-exotics as long as it does not involve launching from 0.

I upgraded to s/s lines, Ferrodo DS2500 and Brembos all around and in the real world or on track this alone makes the 9k Aero a much faster car. Massive improvement in grip, most useful to fully use the new boost.

Stage3 in the UK should come with a tin of B-2 'Stealth' overcoat, suggest allow to dry prior to first adaption run.

Guess the next logical upgrade involves electronic countermeasures...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah - I'm running Brembo discs and Pagid fast roads at the moment. They dont seem to fade at all, and I can haul down the speed very nicely but it still feels like they are not in complete control (but massively better than the standard nonsense). Are the braided hoses worthwhile? Did you do front and rear?
Also - I can sense the clutch is hanging on for dear life (although no slip as yet) but it's the original anyway and to be honest I'm pretty impressed that it's not slipping.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yeah - I'm running Brembo discs and Pagid fast roads at the moment. They dont seem to fade at all, and I can haul down the speed very nicely but it still feels like they are not in complete control (but massively better than the standard nonsense). Are the braided hoses worthwhile? Did you do front and rear?
Also - I can sense the clutch is hanging on for dear life (although no slip as yet) but it's the original anyway and to be honest I'm pretty impressed that it's not slipping.
___________________________________________---

I did everything at once so I can't say what the full set of s/s lines did, perhaps someone out there has made just this improvement.

Start saving up for a new A/P or Sachs Sport p/plate, your old is on borrowed time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Faero I did the brembo and ferodo DS2500 upgrade along with the braided hoses,they give you a firmer pedal feel.I also changed to 5.1 dot fluid whilst I was at it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The braided hoses stop the rubber bulging when you stamp on the brakes. I've been lead to believe it's one of the first upgrades for the Subaru Impreza. Brakes are known to be a little bit spongy when standard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts