Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i have a 96 Aero manual that has developed an irritating squeak/warble which is clearly coming from something driven by the serpentine belt.
I am almost certain that i have traced it to the idler pulley due to the fact that when i sprayed a bit of WD40 directly onto the inner and outer edges of the pulley ( avoiding the belt )the noise was eliminated totally. The belt is correctly tensioned so i assume the hydraulic tensioner is okay.
Which bits EXACTLY do i need to order from German and Swedish to fix this properly.

Thanks Darryl

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Before spending money, I'd release the tension on the belt and take it off - check on here for details or see Haynes (I use an old tyre lever). Then you can spin the tensionor pulley and idler pulley by hand to check for smooth operation. If not smooth and quiet I'd change them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Darryl,
It is a bit of a pain to do,so i would get the three main components (as long as the tensioner is ok) first as i really wouldnt want to do this any more times then i have to.Also asuming on roller is/has given up the ghost,the other one may not be far behind.
From what i gather the idler roller (alt side) has changed part number a couple of times the last one i knew of was # 4901625.
The tensioner roller was # 4029930 and then you have the belt of course,depending on weather you have AC or not which alters the size of the belt.
The idler roller change in Mid 97' to a totally different number so,keep your chassis number handy wherever you order the stuff from.
G.

·
Registered
256 Posts
just had both pulleys changed on my 96 2.3cse/lpt .parts were £28 and £33. and as the labour charge was only £17.50 didnt seem worth getting dirty think the garage got the parts from saab so im sure they would be cheaper elsewhere.sorry havent got part numbers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.