Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

good to meet some of you at the Ruby Aniversary at Newark.

my 9000 Griffin 2.3T has developed an onnoying speak from one of the pulleys. This has since developed into whinning when driving off up to 30mph and the engine doesn't sound smooth at tick over at all.

I had a sqeak on the water pump about 9 months ago which was fixed by the main dealer by a dose of WD-40. Could this be the water pump again?? Your advise appreciated

cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ah I own a 91 9000 2.3l (Standard), actually just bought the thing...

I have the same problem you have now. Start up the engine, take a look at the belt and the pulleys. If you see the belt having any sideways play, then our problems may be identical, or with time will progress to be. Turn off the engine and then try tugging on the belt... you may feel way too much slack. A new belt, few pulleys and a belt tensioner seems to be in order too. All this on a car I just purchased two weeks ago.

About the water pump though, I'm honestly not sure. Haven't had water pump troubles yet.

This Saab seems to be cursed... 23 hours after buying it, I was rear ended by an 83 year old woman. Should have bought a Volvo

I'm in no way a mechanic, just an informed Saab owner.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Rich E
Had this same problem on my 9000CS.
Turned out to be the belt tensioner.
I had an annoying squeeking noise for a week or two then 'bang', the bearings on the pulley seized and lost all tension on the belt, the result, no alternator, no water pump and no power steering. Suggest you get it looked at soon.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The tensioner on my Carly broke at about 150,000m.

Th aloy casting snapped at the top (it's been superceeded...) and allowed the pulley wheel to twist out of alighnment and squeel when the car started up for about 5 mins before quietning down.

Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts