Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got experience of this? It seems to be excellent VFM with 306HP @ 5100RPM and gobs of torque (360ftlbs) with just a JT3", Race Cat, open air intake and uprated clutch. I'll be adding a 50mm I/C to that spec too.
I see Kevin Yankton used it and had excellent results too.

I havent heard any reported negative feedback although SQRs stage 3 is 280bhp and it myseriously goes up to 306bhp with no real hardware changes apart from the race cat which does make you wonder.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm still skeptical! I don't doubt the figures are accurate, I just doubt that the safety margin hasn't been narrowed considerably without further hardware modifications - specifically, fueling and a larger intercooler. I suppose it's fine for the type of driving that's the norm in the US - speeds limited to 75 mph on most interstate highways. Occassionally, one sees a car that will accelerate above the limit, but rarely does one see a high rate of speed averaged for a distance of more than a half-mile or so. I would not want to run that software for an extended WOT run longer than a minute, if that. There's simply not enough fueling with the stock injectors for that kind of use. The other thing that worries me is the MAP sensor, or lack thereof. Once the boost pressures go above ~21 psi, IIRC, then the signal from the MAP is maxed. In other words, the ECU will 'see' 21 psi, when in fact, the boost pressures may be a bit higher (I would think with 306 hp the boost pressures are relatively high). Maybe I'm too conservative (certainly, not in the political sense ), but if I had to choose between tuners like Hirsch or MapTun and SQR, I'd spend the extra and be safe.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Zeke - I should have tagged this to the bottom of my Maptun Stage 4 post as my debate is the same.

I agree with the fact that you will be near the limit of the stock injectors but I suppose if the mapping is done well enough then you won't breach that limit and will stay just inside the safe margin.

I've asked them whether they have a mapping that uses the Bosch green injectors so we'll wait and see what they come back with. I'll have a 50mm I/C too (all being well).

In reality I know that the Maptun Stage 4 is the safer option as shown by the better hardware but price wise its:

SQR: £320 ECU

Maptun:
3 bar Map sensor/adapter: £150
Wastegate actuator: £50
ECU : £470
Injectors : £250 to £400
Total £1k+

Its justifying the extra £700 thats the hard bit.
I'll do some more digging on the US site to see if there are any more comments on SQR pros/cons.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've just been looking at their website. One of the pics shows a BSR sticker on the ECU. Are they perhaps tweaking a BSR stage 3?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think BSR have used SQR at some point to do some tuning for them which is re-assuring - I don't doubt SQRs tuning ability at all but I do think their stage 4 potentially pushes things close to limit.
Hopefully someone will tell me it is super safe and I can take pay off the visa with the savings...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Faero, you don't have to buy the hardware from MapTun. If you know anyone in Sweden, they're a grey-market item there and a set sells for considerably less than what the tuning companies will have to charge. The last time I was there (last September), they were selling for about £130 for a set. Also, the 3 bar MAP sensor is a GM part (12223861) that should be available at any auto part store. And, there's nothing special about the connector (it only converts 3 round pins to 3 rectangular pins!) - I'd be surprised if they're more than £50 for both the connector and MAP. I don't think you'd need a new wastegate actuator, either, unless you have other than a TD04HL-15T on your Aero. As far as being safe is concerned, I'd want to see the EGT's and A/F ratios while the rpm's were held for a good length of time (a minute or so), say 3500 rpms for a minute, then 4500 rpms for a minute, and 5500 rpms for a minute. I wish I had watched his tuning session, which took place at a dyno not far from where I live. A friend of mine witnessed it, but I haven't heard any details of his method. Maybe I'll email him and ask........

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey that is very useful info.
So -
1) Bin the actuator
2) Found the map sensor for £25! (import)
3) Cheapest I can see the injectors is £220 (import) and my only Scandinavian friend is in Norway.... (I assume the £130 you mention is for the plugs? - good price!)

Maptun is sounding a whole lot better...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
You don't need a 3 bar map sensor to make 300+hp. IIRC, the stock unit maxes out at around 1.65 bar/24psi.

On a B234, I reckon you probably need around 1.4 bar max at circa 5500rpm for that sort of power.

BillJ and myself have both achieved over 300hp using a stock map sensor.

The usual reason that the 3 bar map sensors are specified is to cope with the much larger increase in boost (and therefore torque) that the associated hardware mods with the higher levels of tuning deliver lower down the rev range.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Mark, MapTun use the 3 bar MAP for a reason. Yes, as SQR and others have shown, one can make over 300 hp without using certain bits of hardware. Even MapTun's earlier software used the stock MAP sensor to achieve 300 hp (mine did w/1.65 bar of boost). Their new software is a refinement and the reason the 3 bar MAP was integrated was because the stock MAP was insufficient to do the job. The 3 bar MAP sensor has a much flatter pressure vs. voltage curve. This removes the 'blind spot' that occurs at high boost pressures, when the 5V maximum occurs below actual peak boost pressures - I'm not sure what the actual pressure that correlates to 5V on the stock MAP, but I'm pretty certain it's less than 24 psi, and I thought it was more like 20 or 21 psi.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Robert, we're sort of agreeing here

I used Tech 2 in conjunction with a Saab boost gauge, and noted peak boost readings. The scale was 0-255 (that'll be an 8 bit system then ) and 255 corresponded to a boost of around 1.65bar IIRC.

It was with Maptun software that BillJ and I reached our 300hp+ readings.

Although it is possible to reach the 300hp area with a stock sensor, the 3 bar sensor is a much better prospect.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Oops! Sorry, Mark - my fault. I misread your post. Do you happen to know the exact pressure that the stock MAP reads to?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stick the 12223861 MAP part number in here:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

Is actually comes out closer to £35 by the time they add charges and they only ship to US addresses. Gives you an idea though.

Also try
http://www.raceprovenmotors.com/cart/shopp...176e02526c34a69

They will ship it to your door in the UK for $85

I'm also looking for the adapter part - Is it called a pigtail? I am seeing part number 15305891 as the 'universal adapter' that goes with this sensor. (I can ask Maptun this though)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Faero, I was just looking at some other threads on the 'other' BB and came across another number for 3 bar MAP's and harness. I'm not sure if these are 0-5v, but the person who posted these said they worked on his 9000:
3 bar Map - 16040749 - $49.98
Harness - 34389 - $14.99

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interestingly the 16040749 3 Bar Sensor is actually superceded by the one you have (12223861).
The text also says the 'connector' should now be '15305891'. Although it doesnt say what the old one was but there only seems to be one available anyway.
The maptun mission continues

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers - I actually managed to order the GM 3 bar sensor that Maptun use and an adapter connector for £40 inc. pp to a friend in the US using raceprovenmotors. (GM direct wouldn't take international cards). Should arrive next week all being well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Phil. Checked their site but wasn't sure about the adaptor. It looks so different to the GM one. Are they sending you the $9 Delphi one?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah - at $9 I'm taking a chance on the Delphi one. From what I can see, the connector is the same (converts flat to round pins) and is neater than the 'two connector with wires inbetween' but I should get it in the next week or so if you want to wait and I'll check it??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks. For $9 I'll probably take a chance on that as well. I have a friend there right now so I'll have to order to make sure it arrives in time for his flight back to UK.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts