Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Near the end of a 300 km (+/-200 mile) run yesterday I noticed the engine (2L Turbo, non-DI, 5-speed) wasn't as smooth as normal. At a stop light the idle was rough and kind of sputtering (not unlike a 2-cycle outboard motor in idle). Low-end power is poor too but once it's up to speed again, it seems better. No obvious loose hoses or cracks. Replaced the distributor cap & rotor today but no improvement. I haven't rechecked the timing or
plug gap since I did them a couple of weeks back but hard to imagine that's the problem.

Any other ideas what the problem is?
Thanks.
Rod.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Rod
Have you replaced the plug leads recently - when my 9000 began to run rough and plugs etc made no difference I changed the leads which did make a difference - I used about two sets in 90,000 miles. Could it also be dirty throttle body housing? I expect others will post with more suggestions. Air filter/fuel filter?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I checked the leads for continuity -- is that enough? I haven't replaced them in the 1-year (18000 km) that I've had the car and I don't know when they were last done by the PO.
I replaced the fuel filter 2 weeks ago when I had a pinging (which I eventually found was caused by was bad ignition timing), the air filter is OK. Found one hose clamp between the turbo and wastegate that was loose so the top-end response is better (80% of yellow vs 50%). The low-end sputter is still there, though.
Thanks,
Rod.

·
Registered
305 Posts
From my previous and current experience(this last week), the sputtering can be caused by incorrect plug gap. I am now of the opinion that if you feel the plugs need regapped, you should just change them.

I regapped mine and I immediately starting getting some sputtering and misfiring. Put new ones in yesterday($2.00 each for NGKs) and sputtering gone and power response increased to normal for a 2.3l turbo.

Be sure the replace plugs with same brand. Switching from a NGK, for instance, to Bosch seems to mess up the works.

wherewolfe

·
Registered
285 Posts
I to followed the same advice from Wolfe but I had Bosch platinums in mine and not NGK'. I replaced with Bosch platinum 2 and it worked as far as sputter but I'm still taking it in on Thursday to be put up on the CPU at the infamous not-so-local service center to check the rest of the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.