Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently shopping around for new springs and Dampers for my 9000 CSE. But i got a bit scared of the price quoted for the Koni's. I used the search option on the board but only found one mention of another brand.
Is there anybody who is using another setup then Koni's?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
There's a few that have fitted the Bilstein Sprintline damper/spring kit, which is cheaper than the Koni's but the dampers arn't adjustable on the Billys.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Haven't heard a bad word on Koni sports - I think the Bilsteins are v.good but are are very hard (I havent been in a Saab with them fitted though- so comments welcome)
Double check the Koni prices with these guys:
http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/

There is also a combined damper/spring set for about £400 (but I have not heard any comments re. the koni springs)

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
my RS2 is on bilsteins (they're standard), the 9-3 on eibach/koni.

The RS's ride is much firmer than the 9-3.. infact the 9-3 feels like a limo compared.

However the RS2 doesn't pitch, roll or squat.. and it goes whereever you point it... so if you can live with the ride..

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]Double check the Koni prices with these guys:
 http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/  

There is also a combined damper/spring set for about £400 (but I have not heard any comments re. the koni springs) [/qb][/b]
I'd be interested in anyone who has tried the Koni springs. That looks a good price.

Should I do the springs/dampers thing first, or go from 15->16 (or 17?) inch wheels? ('97 Abbottised 2.3 CSE Auto)

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Okay for the record:

Suspension wise there are a few components:

Bushings :
Abbott Racing UK make (or have made to spec) wishbone and front and rear antiroll bar bushings.
Polyflex make wishbone and front and rear antiroll bar bushings.
Superflex make wishbone and front and rear antiroll bar bushings.

Antiroll Bars:
Abbott Racing UK make rear anti roll bars.
SAS make rear antiroll bars.
KC make rear antiroll bars.

Springs:
Eibach
Hirsch (rebranded Eibach)
Pi
Geforce
Abbott Racing UK
H&R
SPAX
Saab Sport

Dampers:
Sachs/Boge
Bilstein
Koni
Monroe
SPAX
Saab Sport

Eibach don't make dampers.. only springs.
Koni don't make springs... only dampers.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Things might feel a bit strange with hard springs and dampers and those 'fat' wall tyres on the 15" wheels. On the other hand it will probably be more fun to drive on the new suspension even with the original wheels and you'll be extra stealthy! As usual with these things, the best solution would be to do the whole lot at once (£££) to get the full benefit.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you dig into the motorsportworld site you find these:
Manufacturer : Koni
Category : Koni Sports Suspension Kits
Sub-category : Koni Kits - Saab
Application : 9000 1992>
Product Code: SSK144
Details : Lowering - 40mm, Turbo lowered 20mm
Price: £376.05
Delivery: £12.00

These are sports konis and springs in a Koni branded set and at £376 it seems a good price. I agree that Koni may source the springs from someone else but they are sold as Koni.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks at least I know now there are more options. My search will continu

PS can Anybody give me the current exchange for Euro's.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I bought the set from msw....
two comments
springs are definitly on the firm side
and they make the car lowwwwww...
got used to it now
but you cant fill up the back with 20 bags of cement like I used to...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Originally posted by MarkA:
[qb]Eibach don't make dampers.. only springs.
[/qb][/b]
Actually, they do. Well, they may not actually make them but they do sell kits in the US with springs and dampers. They are called the Eibach Pro Kit.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by MarkA:
[qb]Antiroll Bars:
Abbott Racing UK make rear anti roll bars.
SAS make rear antiroll bars.
KC make rear antiroll bars.
[/qb][/b]
I don't know about the other two, but the Abbott ARBs are of use to folk only with early shape 9000s and CDs (saloon shape).

This is because earlier models had thinner (18mm or possibly even 17mm) rear ARBs whereas the CS variants all have 19mm.

They sell a 19mm one.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I agree that Koni may source the springs from someone else but they are sold as Koni. [/QB][/b]
I bought a Koni kit and on checking, was advised that the springs are made by Vogtland, a german suspension company.
I was concerned that these springs may not be ideal because I didn't want the car too low. I haven't fitted the springs (yet)
A point to note: as the Koni sport dampers are not gas pressure and the sachs originals are, I found the car sat slightly lower even with the standard springs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts