Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to upgrade my 93 SE Turbo, Elkparts have a sale on with the stage one upgrade, is the now extra £100 Maptun really that much better ???

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Now that really is a toughy..

I was just about to place a Speedparts order when Maptun became available.

For me, with the rather rarer 1993 Trionic 5 needing to go to Sweden, the personal ecu handling was the key.

Andrew

·
Registered
291 Posts
I like to see a maptune dyno against the speedparts one,also like to here from people who have had either fitted.Do they have similar torque curves?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have Speedparts stg 1 on my 9000 and like it because at low throttle/revs there is no change at all from the original Saab characteristics, yet when you floor it it wakes up and growls.

I believe that the Maptun equivalent comes in at lower revs so making the car seem generally "more powerful" even though the maximum power and torque figures are similar to Speedparts'.

The choice is down to how you want the car to feel - and money of course.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Don't forget that Speedpart don't actually do the ECU upgrades, they are supplied to Speedparts by either BSR or for the higher stages I believe Maptun......

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by jig:
[qb]I like to see a maptune dyno against the speedparts one,also like to here from people who have had either fitted.Do they have similar torque curves? [/qb][/b]
You might just get that if I can get to the Emerald day on the 21st and JezF does too, (maptun3 v speedparts3)

Andrew

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sorry the pics are gone. My brother was hosting them for me but sadly no more

However those graphs were for the 93 Aero 205bhp, and just consolidated versions of the website plots.

For the 93SE, 185 bhp Stg 1, from websites

Maptun

Speedparts

I guess jig is really looking for true dyno plots though?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]Don't forget that Speedpart don't actually do the ECU upgrades, they are supplied to Speedparts by either BSR or for the higher stages I believe Maptun......  
 [/qb][/b]
To my knowledge Viggen stage III ECU is the only one that comes from Maptun.
Some (I know one) 9000 are from SQR.
Rest are made by BSR.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero (Maptun stg3):
[qb]Now that really is a toughy..

I was just about to place a Speedparts order when Maptun became available.

For me, with the rather rarer 1993 Trionic 5 needing to go to Sweden, the personal ecu handling was the key.

Andrew [/qb][/b]
i agree with scaero, being able to talk directly to maptun, was a big bonus.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It seems that Maptun has the flatter torque curve,whilst they both have similar HP figures.The step from standard to stage one also seems great with the following stages only being value for wedge because of discounts.Maybe Abbott should consider something similar for customer loyalty

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Here's a real life 9000 CS Aero Maptun stge 3 plot.

Top blue line is torque, top red power, lower red boost.

The boost is a little wobbly and low due to WGA problems, but the plot is pretty representative of what you would get.

Also check out BillJ's plot of his motor which is similar but less wavey.

Andrew

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by Vigge:
[qb]To my knowledge Viggen stage III ECU is the only one that comes from Maptun.
Rest are made by BSR. [/qb][/b]
When I talked to Johnny about the "Maptun-graph" on Speedparts page he got really surprised. He didn't know that they had it on their page and at the time (last spring) they didn't sell Maptun ECU's.

Don't know if that has changed now...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Friberg:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Vigge:
[qb] To my knowledge Viggen stage III ECU is the only one that comes from Maptun.
Rest are made by BSR. [/qb][/b]
When I talked to Johnny about the "Maptun-graph" on Speedparts page he got really surprised. He didn't know that they had it on their page and at the time (last spring) they didn't sell Maptun ECU's.

Don't know if that has changed now...
[/qb][/b][/quote]I know for fact that Viggen stage III is the only ECU that is made by Maptun and sold via SP.
How do I know this?
I had one in my car and the ECU is exact the same as the one sold by Maptun. Here is part of one email from Maptuns Fredrik:

You and Mr Phillip Hs has the exact airmass/ignition/fuel maps in your software.[/b]
This ECU became available from SP last spring.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts