Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI

93 SE Turbo

Im looking to do a stage 1 upgrade (wont prob go any more,but said that when I bought the car)

What is the difference between speedparts and Maptun if any.

Elkparts have speedparts stage 1 on offer and im tempted, the only thing is the torque curve on Maptun seems very good, is it worth the extra £££

Thanks

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Might try a search. I've heard some not so great things of the BSR stage 1 ECU used by Speedparts. Has some undesirable characteristics. Or so I've been told. No personal experience ... I'd spring for the MapTun anyway.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peter

Is Maptun that good, the torque curve from low down looks very impressive.

Im having the suspension sorted next week so, then will be looking for more power !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think Maptun do have better low end power numbers than other tuners. A few people with ECUd Viggen convertibles side by side last summer. The Maptun car had better low end grunt, but as the revs built the Nordic tuned car had better pull in the high rev range.

I do not really know much about the Speedparts stuff tough.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Rob,

There's nothing wrong with Speedparts stuff. I'm sure that others can vouch for that. If the cost saving is significant,go for Speedparts and spend the money you save on something else.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Rob,

I think the both Maptun and Speedparts are good reliable companies who both provide very similar products for similar prices.

You have to look at what they provide for you particular model, Stage and curves for their price and decided which one is for you.

I do not think you will be disapointed with either.

Andrew

·
Registered
348 Posts
Originally posted by Eric (9-3 Hirsch):
[qb]I think Maptun do have better low end power numbers than other tuners.  A few people with ECUd Viggen convertibles side by side last summer.  The Maptun car had better low end grunt, but as the revs built the Nordic tuned car had better pull in the high rev range.
[/qb][/b]
The Maptun Viggen was mine, and to be fair, it was the day after I installed it, and I was running with a dirty MAF and Platinum plugs, so boost at higher revs was somewhat restricted.

Plus the Nordic Viggen had a larger intake pipe (Year 2000 model with 230 hp base; mine is a 1999 with 225 base hp)

Cleaning the MAF and replacing the plugs gave me another 0.2 bar at 5000 rpm, which is quite a lot. I don´t think my car is any slower than the Nordic Viggen now, and even Kai (the Nordic Viggen owner) and his son were impressed at the occasion how much more low end grunt my car had than his.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
348 Posts
BTW, the owners of "the other Saab board" were threatened with legal action by Speedparts if they did not remove the posts in which Vigge and I discussed the possibility of a BSR upgrade (supplied by Speedparts) running to lean at WOT. I would not buy from a supplier who enforces public censorship of a legitimate discussion about his products ...

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
348 Posts
Oh, sorry for the multiple posts ... Your car is a full pressure turbo, no LPT? I don´t think Stage I tuning of a Saab FPT is worth the cost:

Some of the FPTs have more than the promised 185 horses stock (Eric´s had 192 hp). If your 9-3 is Trionic 7, the upgrade will give you perhaps 210 hp, but never 225 hp ;-) If your car is Trionic 5, you might perhaps get the promised 225 hp ...

on the other hand, for just a little more, you can get MapTun Stage III, which is an entirely different beast: The 3" downpipe alone makes the car so much more responsive. I think this is essential upgrade number one...

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'd have to agree with Phillip. I would not want to contribute to any company that threatens censorship.

There may still be a valid place for the BSR chip. It could go well with water injection, but I wouldn't use it without some kind of anti-detonation system. It appears to have too much ignition advance and not enough fuel. Both of which would be good with water injection, or ok with really high octane (Saabs are tolerant of reasonbly high EGT) but would be a very poor choice with low octane.

MapTun.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
the owners of "the other Saab board" were threatened with legal action by Speedparts if they did not remove the posts in which Vigge and I discussed the possibility of a BSR upgrade (supplied by Speedparts) running to lean at WOT. I would not buy from a supplier who enforces public censorship of a legitimate discussion about his products ...
 [/b]
Philip, be careful - you only have the word of the owners of 'the other Saab board' that this happened.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by MarkA:
[qb] QUOTE
the owners of "the other Saab board" were threatened with legal action by Speedparts if they did not remove the posts in which Vigge and I discussed the possibility of a BSR upgrade (supplied by Speedparts) running to lean at WOT. I would not buy from a supplier who enforces public censorship of a legitimate discussion about his products ...
 [/b]
Philip, be careful - you only have the word of the owners of 'the other Saab board' that this happened. [/qb][/b][/quote]I can quaranteed that it happened.
Send PM for more info.

·
Registered
348 Posts
[qb]Philip, be careful - you only have the word of the owners of 'the other Saab board' that this happened. [/qb][/b]
Well, they told me to speak to Peter of Speedparts when I complained about Censorship.

BTW, I do not need to be careful - I have two diplomas in law, and I know how to defend myself in court if necessary

Yours,

Philip

@Adrian: I don´t think every BSR software is badly written. I hope Vigge´s software was the "red herring" There are many happy owners of Speedparts- and BSR-ECU´s around, too. That´s why I don´t advise against Speedparts products. Just against their way to handle freedom of Speech (on line)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hopefully Vigge's ECU was just a red herring.
I didn't mean to "advise against" the BSR ECU. Only that what I've seen from them hasn't been good. Of course we only talk about ECU's when something goes wrong.
Obviously many people are happy with their SpeedParts stuff.

When I said it was a poor choice, I was referring to advanced timing and lean running conditions, not the BSR chip itself. The chip may or may not cause those. I don't know. It did for Vigge. For me, since I've heard of no trouble with MapTun, the peace of mind is worth the difference in cost.

I have a hard time seeing Vigge's results as a red herring as well. Each ECU is not individually tuned, so if he had a problem, odds are others have as well and just not reported it. This definitely should be addressed somehow ...

I say if BSR/SpeedParts wishes to address the issue they should join the discussion and confirm whether or not the problem has been addressed and/or solved. Rather than try to censor it out of all our minds.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I'm going to close this topic now, as I don't believe it's going to go anywhere constructive. Folk have their own experiences and opinions, but perhaps can't expand fully on them on line for various reasons. Therefore a large part of the discussion may be unsubstantiated or hearsay, which doesn't do anyone any favours.

And just for clarification, I'm not criticising anyone who has expressed their own true feelings, I'm just making sure that things that shouldn't be said remain so

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.