Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening I found a recorded envelope from Speedparts in the mail after returning from work. It was the Speedparts fuel chip for my LH 2.2 ECU that I ordered earlier this week. The price advertised for the chip at Taliaferro (www.genuinesaab.com) in the US was actually lower than what I ended up paying at Speedparts themselves, but they don't seem to sell to non-US customers, so on their advice I ended up on the phone with a nice-sounding Swedish lady called Pirjo.
Anyways, with Speedparts online instructions install was pretty straightforward. Within half an hour (including taking digital piccies of every install step for the TTE site) the ECU was back into the car and I was off for a test drive around the block.

Now I know that according to Taliaferro's site they altered the part throttle maps on the new chip, but I wasn't quite prepared for the enormous difference in engine smoothness the chip seems to make. That, or there's something going awry when I'm putting the ECU back in it's normal position (on a plywood shelf under the dash, above a pair of Genesis amps) - I made my test drive with the ECU laying in the passenger footwell. Whatever it is, I'm happy so far.
Even my mom commented on how much nicer the engine sounded when I drove off.
The only plausible explanation I can come up with, is that the early LH ECU's (according to some Swedish contacts on TSN) reputedly are a bit lean on fuel on cold running, and the new chip fixes that. But on the other hand, I can't remember that it's ever been so driveable (at least since the rebuild), warm or cold. She used to be a wee bit juddery or b*tchy in traffic at times, and those characteristics seem to have gone completely.

If after the break-in period the chip allows Saabine to rev to 6,800 rpm as advertised and the good running does persist, I'm a very happy chappy...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Sounds good Eric- can't wait to see her over here in the summer.

Perhaps in sympathy, Bubbles seems to have a massive amount of urge to go just now as the Maptun Stage 5 is settling in nicely. At low speeds I almost feel like I need my foot on the brake, such is her enthusiasm!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Way to go Eric
! I am well pleased for you that you are impressed.

The comments you make on engine smoothness are more or less the same I have noticed on mine since Dan re-mapped my ECU. It is good to see that other companies have also attended to this performance improving technique. Dan called it his "T6" upgrade. It is supposed to mimic the T7 low throttle response apparently. Whatever the facts of the matter, I hope you get as much fun out of crawling in traffic as I do now. Makes a change from that nasty turbo lag and sub-2000RPM sleep inducing power delay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts