Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So that's my Speedparts upgrade fitted
What was a perfectly good, lightly modded, 2.3 LPT is now an intercooled 235 hp (401Nm torque
) beast. But should my ears pop when I press the loud pedal?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice thing about the T5 ECU on 9000s is you can undo 6 screws and swap the component boards round. Although obviously you'd still tell the insurance company there's more power mapped through your unmarked box...

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are the boards significantly different Steve?[/b]
No, they looked pretty much identical. All ( all ) they do is take out the SAAB chip and put in a reworked one so the chip is same dimensions, colour &c. I didn't notice any changes to the circuits on the board.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
They take out the chip? Maptun (and Abbott, I believe) simply reprogramme the existing one in situ (except for the 1993 Trionic which I believe isn't reprogrammable). Maptun certainly did this with the '94 ECU I sent them.

The nice thing about this is that they don't disturb the conformal coating over the solder joints on the chips (just around the pads where they connect their equipment, which are unused in operation).

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Certainly my Abbotted 1993 Trionic had 2 chips changed... and developed subsequent problems with solder bridges
(kept indicating a lambda fault and running rich as a result) which I eventually found and cured under magnification.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They take out the chip? Maptun (and Abbott, I believe) simply reprogramme the existing one  in situ  [/b]
Billj, you're right, they do it in situ . I was trying to think how there could be any difference in the boards and if they did take out the chip and put in a fresh one that would be the only difference (and even then you couldn't tell)
I should have made that clear

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reading between the lines, Adrian may have been asking "is there anything on the board that, should an insurance inspector really take your car apart, will say "Chipped by Speedparts and I bet you didn't declare it!"

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by SteveN:
[qb]Reading between the lines, Adrian may have been asking "is there anything on the board that, should an insurance inspector  really  take your car apart, will say "Chipped by Speedparts and I bet you didn't declare it!"           [/qb][/b]
That's how I read it. However, would they lift the cylinder head to see whether the pistons have "Powermax" written on them or compare the cam profiles to the factory spec? Or even look for the type number on the turbo? I realise, though, that "chipping" is probably the second most common form of modification on modern turbo cars (after a sport air filter). I was a bit alarmed to see a large "Speedparts" logo across the ECU housing, though. I think Abbott do the same (anyone know for certain?), but Maptun simply give you back a box that looks unchanged, along with a "Power by Maptun" sticker that you don't have to stick on your window if you don't want to (I didn't).

G

·
would they lift the cylinder head to see whether the pistons have "Powermax" written on them or compare the cam profiles to the factory spec? Or even look for the type number on the turbo?  [/b]
I think the insurance assessor will only look at the car in such detail should there be any specific suspicion by the insurance company that the vehicle has been modified. I doubt they have the time to perform such in depth checks. They certainly will not have the resources to check that ECUs have been reprogrammed (a costly business, surely). I think they will be looking for easily spotted mods (ie: stupid alloys, big plastic bits, etc) that the insurance co. can use as a get out clause on paying out on the claim.

Of course, if the vehicle has been involved in a particularly serious accident, the police may wish to pour over it with a fine-toothed comb!?

This is not to suggest that you should not declare and modifications, whatever their nature. Even if you are in doubt as to whether it counts as a mod, you should contact your insurance co. and enquire. You are obligated to disclose any "material facts" which may or may not influence the underwriter's assessment of the risk. You are normally best doing this before performing the modification.

Some insurance co.s are more draconian than others in this respect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts