Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fitted my ECU and air filter over the weekend (JT exhaust to be fitted on Wed/Thurs of this week), but no Oh, my God stuff. It does feel faster, but then it felt very fast before. I am wondering whether the old ECU was messed around with (it did feel very fast) or if something is not quite right. The needle does go into the red, but not to the end, & it then backs off, even under hard acceleration Obviously, the boost will be reset following fitment of the exhaust, but I was rather surprised by the fairly small percieved difference after AlanB's experience. The dyno run on Saturday at Power Engineering will show me whether it is hitting Speedparts claimed output. Still, left a 3 series Beemer for dead going up a long hill today.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Definitely doesn't sound right. My needle goes well past the end of the red. It sounds like you've done enough driving to adapt it. And I'm assuming you're using Super Unleaded (or preferably Optimax). You won't get anywhere near maximum boost on that ECU with 95 RON.

I had a similar problem on mine when I first fitted the Maptun ECU. It turned out to be due to a loose hose. It eventually blew off and that's how I tracked it down. Then, three days after fitting a new bypass valve (just because it was supposed to be "better", not because I thought the old one had failed), I was back to more-or-less normal Aero boost again. I refitted the old valve and all my lovely boost came back. The diaphragm in the new valve had split.

The new ECU will find any failing components such as those I've mentioned, plus, Maptun warned me, it will quickly show up a failing DI cassette.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul - Don't know which 3 series it was, but it was going quickly - probably an old 3:28. However, I was going quicker!

Bill - Thanks for the advice. I am running on Optimax, so that isn't the problem. It felt faster this evening - I actually only fitted the air filter this evening. Interesting you say about it finding a weakness as my engine tickover varies sometimes and I believe that this can point to DI casette problems. I'll get the engineer to give the engine a good checkover on Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mmmm, just went for a test drive to do the adaptation runs. Still does exactly the same thing - boost comes on, then seems to back off, rather than go further into the red. Makes me wonder if the ECU settings are correct. But then again, I'm no engineer! Have to say, that compared to most cars, it ain't exactly slow, but it sounds as though there is something amiss. Hopefully, all will be rectified by the end of the week!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Jez, I can bring along a known working bypass valve on Saturday, and you're welcome to try my DI cassette too. Substitution with a known good cassette is Saab's diagnostic technique.

Oh, and as I said on SaabCentral, I can bring a calibrated boost gauge to check your base boost too.

But please remind me towards the end of the week - I have a head like a sieve...

I've been where you are - after adaptation runs, it felt faster, but it was even faster once I'd fixed the leak. Perhaps your erratic idle is worth a closer inspection?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I predict that the exhaust will make a big difference and will allow the ECU to do its work.

Why don't Bill and I have a look at it on Sat.?

BTW, I think that I may have a leaking headgasket (from all the extra boost???) so if it completely blows, I may not be there!

Alanb

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alan/Bill,

Your assistance would be much appreciated. Maybe the fitment of the exhaust will get things working properly. Plugs are due for replacement, so once the work is all done, it might be OK. Have to say that I am getting very excited! I can't wait to see how much better the car corners. The engineer will have a good look at the engine & connect his computer, so hopefully he will spot anything wrong. He will check the boost once the work has been done.

Oh, as an aside, although the JT exhaust is unbelievable value, the end pipe looks oh, so cheap as it is not rounded over. Same for the Abbott ones that I have seen. I might get an engineering company to fabricate a replacement at some point.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Jeremy,

Didn't you say something about a suspect DI unit you have? I bought a new one a couple of months ago and you are welcome to try that out.

Personally, I like the discreet/cheap look of the exhaust. My logic is that the less others think of your car the bigger the surprise they are in for

Alanb

·
Registered
247 Posts
Jeremy,

Didn't you say something about a suspect DI unit you have? I bought a new one a couple of months ago and you are welcome to try that out.

Personally, I like the discreet/cheap look of the exhaust. My logic is that the less others think of your car the bigger the surprise they are in for

Alanb

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Alan, I am really not sure, but if the car still does not feel quite right, then I would very much appreciated testing yours - I assume that they are very easy to swap over? By the way, what is the going rate for a DI cassette and from what source?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chap in Brighton that has a small garage & services Volvo's and Saab's. Used to be a Saab technician. I have not used him before, but he comes recommended. He did a stretch job on a 900 & stuffed a 2.3 engine in it, so I believe. £35 an hour, with no VAT is the labour rate, so I should end up with a reasonable bill by tomorrow.

Alan, Europarts suggest that a DI cassette is £139 + VAT. When did you buy yours? If I can get one that cheap, I might just change it anyway.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Jeremy,

I paid #117+vat and I'm pretty sure of that. They're genuine saab items.

BTW, I'm glad you didn't go to Mann & Woodland to do the fitting work. Although I always got on with them, apart from doing the basic jobs, I wouldn't trust them.

Alanb

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Alan_b:
[qb]BTW, I'm glad you didn't go to Mann & Woodland to do the fitting work.  Although I always got on with them, apart from doing the basic jobs, I wouldn't trust them.
[/qb][/b]
Not sure of your particular experience with M&W, Alan, but they did an excellent job replacing the gearbox on my 99T. Have used them for other Saabs that were out of dealer warranty also, and personally have no problem with them. They are a much more attractive option than Ballamys of Shoreham.

Jez's bloke could be useful, though.

There is also a chap called Robert (ex-Ballamys Saab technician) who has set up his own place in Shoreham. Haven't used him yet, but he advertises in Friday Ad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts