Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with this? How easy/difficult is it to install? Is it reliable and are there any ill effects possible? I am considering using in conjunction with high flow intake pipe and high flow delivery pipe on my 2000 Aero.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a Kylar Jonsson fitted to my 9000. It's twice the thickness of the stock IC - 50 mm. I think KJ sub's his IC's out to Speedparts, but I could be wrong. Installation isn't bad but it's definitely a tight fit between the condenser and radiator. Can't comment on the 9-5 version.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Robert, does the Kylar Jonsson intercooler make a noticable difference in power?
Looks like the KJ intercooler for a 900/9-3 is not only thicker, but according to the picture it's bigger as well.

·
Registered
288 Posts

There is also an IC available from nordictuning.
Here is the mail conversation between me and Magnus

Does Nordic have a IC that will fit to a stock viggen without major modifications?
We are developing a new intercooler that will fit bolt on your viggen.

We tested it yesterday and it wored fine.
We tested it on a 9-5 aero.
Whit stock intercooler was it 92degres inlet tempreture in 6000rpm.
Whit the intercooler was it 41 whit full boost and 6000rpm.[/b]
Thank you for you reply you got me interested.

And also what are the cooler dimensions (roughly) w*h*t ?

The dimensions is about 520mm*150mm[/b]
Do you have a price confirmed for the IC now?

The intercooler will cost 6500seek without the hoses.
The hoses cost 1500seek.
Best Regards Magnus[/b]
6500 Sek is about 715 Eur, hoses 165Eur
Total 880 Eur

·
Registered
778 Posts
Mark, the stock intercooler is 25 mm thick.

Maarten, the KJ does allow a slight increase in performance - that is, I can sustain high boost pressures at higher rpms for a long period of time. My software is tuned with this IC as a condition, so it's hard to say exactly which piece of hardware or software is responsible for the performance.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
It's a while since I looked at one and don't have one to hand to measure, but I'd have said the stock IC was 40-50mm thick, not 25mm

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The core, not the surround...

[edit] IIRC the stocker is 30 mm, er, deep, though.

[carefully avoiding use of the word 'thick' here. It's not like there are intelligent intercoolers (the unit itself, not fans or spray systems) out there, anyways...]

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sorry Eric, I keep forgetting that you Brit's speak a different language Anyway, you're right, the stock intercooler measures 32 mm. I knew it was around an inch, or so......that's why I said 25 mm. My Kylar Jonsson is 50 mm and it looks much deeper than the stock unit - it's so deep that both the condenser and radiator press against it. Also, if I were a betting man, I'd wager that the IC that Maptun carries is a KJ.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Both Maptun and Speedparts use the KJ IC. I have heard even the KJ 50mm is a little lacking in flow for a stage 4 Aero. Apparantly you can fabricate mounting brackets and move the AC condenser back slightly to accomodate a larger FMIC. Of course Im still on stage 2 so Ive yet to try it. I am guessing the 9-5 on Maptun's website using the Mitsu EVO VI IC is on a similar setup. Someone correct me if they know for sure.

http://www.maptun.com/cars_95_rikard.php

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
There's a good amount of space above the intercooler, but it would take more work to utilize. When I upgrade my intercooler I intend to move the pressure switch on the condensor to the backside, the horns to another place and the A/C receiver/dryer to near the battery. This way you could just weld a second Viggen intercooler above the first one. (making a double core intercooler is probably the cheapest way to get more flow) If one flows at least 230 hp, two should handle over 400 hp with the appropriate hoses etc. And doubling the forward facing surface area should help with cooling more than just making it thicker. PLus a new Viggen intercooler is under $300, just add the cost of welding and moving everything else, and for under $500, and bit of work, you've got a 400 hp intercooler. Of course I won't be doing this too soon. I'd imagine such tampering would easily void one's warranty. But for other 9-3 owners this may be an alternative to moving the condensor (which would only allow a slightly larger intercooler) and to removing the aluminum bumper piece (which would be a disaster in an accident). Once two were welded together you'd be looking at an intercooler core measuring about 2.5" tall X 21" wide X 15" tall. Lots of flow and lots of cooling, and if you're any good at welding, doing away with the plastic ends should easily allow for plenty of boost without cracking.

Also, if you don't mind removing the metal bumper piece instead of what I listed above, doing so would allow a second intercooler core to be welded in FRONT of the existing one. Doulbing the flow, and still dramatically increasing the cooling again for less than $500.

For examples on making multiple cores go here:

www.relentlessracing.com

Click on "intercoolers" on the left hand side.

A double core Chrysler intercooler will flow roughly 650 CFM. To give you some idea how much airflow that is ... the stock Aero turbo flows only about 428 cfm. The upgraded 18T compressor flows less than 500 cfm. If you live on the east coast relentless racing might even do the welding for ya. Anyway, new intercoolers look nicer, but if you want fast AND cheap. Multiple cores might be the way to go eh?

·
Registered
62 Posts
mottomax....
it says on that link that he is using 98 9-5 intercooler tubing. is this tubing bigger in diameter? if not, what is the differece.

also, where do i find a kj intercooler.

and finally, from those of you that have upgraded intercoolers, what kind did you use and what are the dimensions of it?

once again, all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very clever stuff Adrian! The KJ IC is a bit overpriced if you ask me. But the stock IC just isnt going to cut it! Something has to be done. I am 99% sure the IC sold at www.genuinesaab.com is the KJ unit. They sell lots of speedparts goodies and from what Ive heard, (have never purchased from them) give great customer service also.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/detail.asp?product_id=51.0480

1 - 14 of 14 Posts